Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

two users on one computer

two users on one computer

I - personally have two login accounts on one work laptop for example;

• davidius1 - I use to log in duing the day while at work
  • davidius2 - I use when at home, not working need to use the applications and not show my web history etc

My queston is to save space can change the setting for spotify while logged in as both user accounts to point to the same folder for storage - for example;

D:\Data\Spotify

So for both windows accounts its the same Spotify account and the same person sitting infont of the computer listening to music.

6 Replies

@davidius wrote:

I - personally have two login accounts on one work laptop for example;

• davidius1 - I use to log in duing the day while at work
  • davidius2 - I use when at home, not working need to use the applications and not show my web history etc

My queston is to save space can change the setting for spotify while logged in as both user accounts to point to the same folder for storage - for example;

D:\Data\Spotify

So for both windows accounts its the same Spotify account and the same person sitting infont of the computer listening to music.

Hi, and welcome to the community!

If you installed Spotify on your computer, it should use the same files, there is no need to have 2 sets of Spotify files.

If this is offline files, then you have to have 2 sets, as effectively having 2 accounts using one set of local files is piracy.

If you don't want to show your listening history, you can click on your name in Spotify and click private session; this disables the sharing of your music history. There's no real need for 2 accounts 🙂

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

hi

thanks for the welcome 🙂

I think theres a little miss understanding, I (personally) have two windows users on my computer (no one else uses this machine)

One windows account is for personal use at home

The other windows account is for use at work

I have it set up that way so my personal browser history and recent documents do not get mixed in with my work web/document history. 

When logging into Spotify I have one account I use while logged into either windows account. One person (me) is only ever using the computer and/or spotify. So I don't understand how that would constitute piracy.

Hi,

Ah in that case yes you can; as it's the same Spotify account so you should be able to have it available to both user accounts (sorry I thought you meant you had 2 spotify accounts!). You may have to uninstall and reinstall Spotify to the location you want as if you move application files sometimes they don't work as the registry has been added to primarily for security and to prevent people from copying application files.

If you just want to change the location of synced files rather than the whole Spotify application files, then you can change the cache location under Edit>Preferences to something else. However currently this is impossible as it keeps resetting the location due to a bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Hi

Any timeline on when this bug will be fixed?

Thanks

Did anyone ever find a good solution to this? On my Mac when I set Spotify in both Mac accounts to the same shared storage folder Spotify still wants to redownload everything for both accounts. It takes up a lot of space, about 5 GB for each account, for the same music. Not cool Spotify... You're better than this...

Is there still no solution for this? I have the same problem, but on a Mac. It is here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Can-t-have-Spotify-installed-on-two-computer-accounts-M...

Suggested posts