Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Riksman

Thank you for reinstating the widget and thereby listening to your paying customers. I don't have to move to Deezer now. But as many people already have said the widget shouldnt have been removed in the first place! Did you hire some manager from Microsoft to make these kind of decisions? Because this kind of arrogance can be totally expected from Microsoft but wouldn't have expected from Spotify. The widget is the biggest visible thing that separates Android from iOS and makes multitasking on Android more convenient. Anyway you have my sincere thanks for coming to your senses eventually and giving us the widget back.👍😊

Dangreen4200

Wow shocker, who would have thought this was a bad idea? Definitely not the 15k+ paying customers. Like really it had to get that high for them to "come to their senses"? like they were smooth sailing and they sail nose first into a dock, not even trying to stop. It was inconsiderate and disrespectful to not even let users know what was going to happen and why. If they would have just asked their paying customers what they wanted and listened everyone would be happy in the end. I feel like a lot of companies just assume they know what the customer wants. Thanks for at least bringing it back, an apology would be nice too though for each customer that was affected by this poor decision. At my job when i make a mistake on a customers order i apologize and make it right. Just saying.

Houmer

You brought the widget back 3 days before I was going to cancel my premium and switch to Google Music. Next time you do something similar I will cancel it immediately with no regrets.

jparker13

Thank you for listening. Removing this was a misstep. 

blahadfas

Thanks guys for bringing it back. It really was an inconvenience to not have it, too many steps to see and change my music often. Good decision. I don't think I would've unsubscribed because of it, but it did make me experience more of a hassle without it. Suggestion I thought of the other day, maybe allow comments on songs like SoundCloud does, would be a cool feature for music discussion.

Rene01

Hi @blahadfas,

Submit your new idea over here

At the bottom of the page there is a button to submit a new idea.

Others kan vote for your idea and the more votes the more likely it will get implemented.

Looking forward to see your new idea.

Thanks,

René

Stansfield

Thanks for bringing it back.

As others have said - next time perhaps try checking with the community before you remove basic functionality, especially when you don't have any good reason to do so.

For paying customers it felt like if we had bought a car and after years driving it we woke up one morning to the passenger seat missing, with the carmaker just announcing "we've decided to remove all passenger seats because we don't think you need them".

Librarian_the

Thank you for bringing the widget back! As others have said, it was ridiculous that it was removed in the first place, and very frustrating that it seemed it wasn't going to be considered again. But the developers listened, and one of my favorite features has returned! Thank you for listening to us. Please continue to do so.

BDuser

good idea

Garnitos

thankyou for listening to the community!