Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Needed functionality: Using Spotify UI to stream to Sonos

Hello

I am tired of being "forced" to use Sonos UI when streaming Spotify music to my stereo.

It would be great if Spotify could could team up with Sonos and develop a feature enabling the Spotify UI to stream directly to the stereo via Sonos.

I heard a lot of people having the same wish.

That being said, Spotify really rocks 🙂

Regards

/Jesper

Updated: 2016-12-06

We’re thrilled to announce that Sonos now supports Spotify Connect. Spotify Premium users can now control their Sonos straight from the Spotify app. Check out this blog post for more details. 

Comments
MrAshwood

SO for me it, I've been listening to something on spotify on my iPhone, maybe on the way home, and I want to easily transfer straight to Sonos, not exit one app and open another, and faff around trying to find the playlist again. Just adding my two pennies worth.

iwantbreakfast

I hadn't even considered that Spotify wouldn't have made casting available in their app - particularly on mobile.  Very surprised when I couldn't see a cast icon anywhere...

Spotify seems great, but at home (where I have a permanent web connection, and time to discover new music)  my speaker system is Sonos.  

Without the Spotify app allowing casting, the discovery process is too detached from the listening, which is bad UX.  

I can't justify keeping Spotify after my trial as I'm just not able to use it effectively with my setup.  There must be a heck of a lot of potential subscribers in the same boat & other streaming services can and do offer this (*)

Will

(*) I've only tried Google so far, but Apple Music looks pretty good and is on Android + iOS > haven't looked into casting, but Apple/Sonos generally play well together.

camillo75
Hi @iwantbreakfast Unfortunately this is not a Spotify problem, but a Sonos one. Spotify offer the Spotify Connect casting technology which must be implemented in the hardware as well. But Sonos is not keen to implement proprietary technology in its hardware to keep service independency. I do not know how Google Music is integrated into Sonos, but it seems Spotify and Sonos will not be easily integrated soon. Please give this feedback also to the Sonos people because they have the possibility to implement the Spotify Connect technology like Denon Hoes or other brands are doing. Best regards, Camillo
iwantbreakfast

Except that it's Spotify's choice not to support any other streaming protocol.

I get that it's complicated - streaming from Spotify servers directly would be a massive effort  to support additional generic streaming protocols, but relaying from a mobile device to another streaming format - that's not only doable, other developers already do it.

Example

http://www.airaudio.eu

This app attempts to cover all apps by capturing system Audio in Android (requires root) or for demo purposes captures the microphone (no root needed).  It supports relaying on the most popular protocols (Google Cast, AirPlay, Sonos, DLNA, AllPlay etc.).

There is a sizeable delay (making it unsuitable for audio/video sync) but for audio only, like Spotify - no problem.

It will use more battery as the mobile device is actively relaying the stream, but that's a better scenario than what we have now as Spotify+Sonos users.

I do appreciate that Spotify want to keep their apps streamlined, but their a service, Sonos is hardware.  The hardware is the bigger investment, and we already own it, so Spotify will have a hard time convincing most of us that we should ditch our hardware to match their service. (same applies to Spotify convincing Sonos to change their firmware)

mollyg

Yes Yes Yes.  Sonos has awesome wifi and speakers. Spotify has an awesome interface,  Combine them.  Just do it already. 

Tschernonoll

Would really be grate also it would solve that podcast are not available in the sonos app

Juppstein

Google Play Music can do it since a long time so why can't Spotify do it as well? The API from Sonos is there but it looks like Spotify refuses to allow or use the feature. Also one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription and switched over to Google Play Music Unlimited. Spotify is nice on its own but it does not play well together at all with hardware frontends. Which prevents a seamless experience.

Tschernonoll
Hey Juppstein how is the experiance of google music compared to spotify

nicka74756

breaking news - announced today Sonos speakers will work with Spotify Connect (i.e. direct from Spotify app) next month - finally !

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/08/30/spotify-will-soon-able-control-sonos-without-wi-fi/#Tech#News

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/sonos-opens-up-spotify-connect-and-amazon-echo-control-is-comin/

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented
Updated: 2016-08-31

Hello everyone. Today we’re announcing Spotify listeners can soon stream to their Sonos system at home with complete control of all their favourite Spotify features directly from the Spotify app. This free software update will be available soon as part of the Sonos public beta program.  Check out this blog post for more details and stay tuned.