Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
Higgenbottom

Was anything ever done about this? I had mostly stopped listening to spotify and switched to iheart radio because of the types of ads on spotify. Even when I was on the spotify kids & family playlist and it would have ads playing for HBO shows that were completely inappropriate for kids. I guess I'll go back to just using iheart radio for now. I tried going into ad management preferences but every. single. time. it brings up an uh oh try back later screen.

christiko

There are ads for horror movies that come up when my kids are listening to RAFFI.  RAFFI!  Come on Spotify - it's so disappointing that a simple filter can't be applied so that users who are underage aren't exposed to R rated content.  I'm a careful parent and minimize the screen but we still have to listen to the ad and occasionally if little hands touch the keyboard then the window could pop up and an innocent little face could have horror ads right in his face.  NOT COOL.

uclatommy

Some ads (Strayer University) will freeze the music for spotify on your phone when the banner pops up. You have to unlock your phone, go to the app, see the banner, and dismiss it before the music resumes. This is infuriating. It's a really stupid advertising strategy because now I will go out of my way to make sure I never spend money for their products or services.

Sp4zc0r3

I finally download Spotify and the first thing I see is a mostly naked person in a large banner ad, and the second thing I notice is this huge comment section regarding the topic and no response from Spotify since before 2013. Advertisers don't like paying for ad placement that goes in front of people who are going to repelled by the ad. Do both your customers (listeners and advertisers) a favor and implement an age-appropriate ad filter option. Otherwise, someone else is going to create the next "Spotify" that families, workplace listeners, and educators are going to jump ship to, because there isn't really a lot of competition right now.

Rorey

Hey everyone. We’ve been working backstage to stop inappropriate ads from playing while listening to Kids Music. Recent changes mean it will be unlikely for adult ads to play while listening to the Children’s Music genre. We hope to have even more updates in the future. 

Sp4zc0r3
That's great, it's one step closer to what we're asking for. But we want to
listen to jazz and classical and other SFW genres (besides exclusively
"children's music") without having to hear or see inappropriate
advertisements, or accidentally exposing our children to them.
DJ_Wolfram

I am also a veteran of Spotify and listen to a good 12 hours a day. I mean I have almost 200 playlists; and I thank Spotify for letting me Spotify use their service so extensively for so long (since 2011), even though I've only paid for 4 months. Due to the heavy listening, I do not only do I get the problem of inappropriate adverts at work and college, but I also suffer the INFURIATING problem of repetitive adverts. I often get adverts for one specific movie or specific genre of music I don't want to listen to. I've noticed that I only get between 5 and 10 adverts in total, so extreme repetition is a common occurrence; it would be nice if the was a way for us to respond to an advert as uninterested because I actually like the adverts from Spotify and click on half of them. So if I could say I've had enough now, I'm not clicking on this add, show me a new one and try again, that would be really appreciated.

THX...

al107

Yes, I agree. I heard an ad for a condom this morning! On Spotify! 

Reidpaslay

My 5 year old just asked me what safe **bleep** is. After about 20 minutes, I heard an ad on the Preschool Playtime Ages 3-5 station that we had been listening to for using protection so you can "enjoy safe **bleep**." We are a forward thinking family and are open to engaging in conversations about **bleep** as our children reach 7 and 8. But 5 is not the age. Nor is 4 or 2, the ages of my other children. This is extremely inappropriate and we won't be using the Spotify service again until this is addressed appropriately. Thank you.

Reidpaslay

It's really interesting that your website blocks the word s e x when you so brazenly played it for my 2, 4, and 5 year olds' ears on the Preschool Playtime station.