Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Changelog after each Update (In-App)

With each new update, no matter what gets added or taken away, there is a curious lack of accountability from the actual staff, and the (paying) userbase are left confused.

Why can we not drag from iTunes into our playlists anymore? Why can we not order our playlist columns as we see fit?

So a detailed, easily accessible, log after each update would sort this. In this log should be a list of all the changes made with each update, and with the reasons why the changes were made. This is most important.

We pay for this service. Why should we be left utterly confused with each update? We're left to scurry over to this forum, where your lackeys (who actually aren't on the development team) have no choice but to say 'I don't know' to each question, and with each request to implement back a feature in the Ideas section, the only response is 'This is not a priority'.

What's wrong with some honesty, eh?

Updated on 2018-10-03

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange with your feedback.

We're keeping this status as 'Not Right Now' for the time being.

Right now, we don't have plans to implement a detailed change log with both changes and reasoning behind it for every app update. For news about updates we've made, please keep an eye here on the Idea Exchange as well as on our News Blog

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll check back in here if we have any other info.

Thanks.

Comments
mtnh2oskier

I’m here searching for release notes just like everyone else. I would like to know that Spotify is actually improving their apps in measurable ways. I’ve been a paying member for years and still have the same bugs of “offline mode” when I’m not offline. And the lack of an Apple Watch app after three years makes me think you’re not ever going to release it. Have some pride in your work. Let us be excited with you. I want to believe you’re really “making improvements to Spotify,” but you aren’t convincing anyone but yourself.

tropikalstorm

I made it here searching for release notes as to why I have to update the app again. Find the frequency of the updates high and then nothing to back up whats changing?

Doesn't give me much confidence in their desktop app or the company as a whole.

Shouldn't you be proud to show what your fixing and updating?

kdkavanagh

The lack of release notes has caused my (F500) company's security team to remove spotify from all our machines - It's killing us in software development.  They are looking for security notices for each release in order to determine the urgency for upgrading

IguanaSetup

This is definitly needed. We can add logs to show when and what has updated in Spotify.

waltercruz

Please bring the changelogs back.

tnge_drtbg

Hey everyone, I was going to repost a frustrating feedback to Spotify about their lack of updates, but I think really the answer is that they do a/b testing when releasing updates.

Here is a link that explains this: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/How-our-app-release-process-works/td-p/1237093

TLDR: they do A/B testing, some people get an update that others won't see so that Spotify can compare it to the control group. I guess the most we can do is join the Beta that may have release notes that could potentially go into the real app. 

TrevorX3

@tnge_drtbg - good catch.  That definitely could be a huge factor.  Would at least be nice to have some acknowledgement or reasoning directly from Spotify regarding why they refuse to give us basic considerations.

Schumanji

@tnge_drtbg Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that original post is almost 3 years old now (like many of Spotify's "explanation" posts) and you'd think there would have been some positive changes between then and now. It explains why they may not provide release notes with every single update, but if and when a feature is rolled out to the masses they could at least provide those details for everyone. It's ludicrous that the leading music streaming company refuses to provide their users with quality product updates.

DragoCubed

Ever since the redesign update the Android app always says "not connected to internet" when I first open the app. It never had such a problem before. This is so shady. Spotify is like Google, Facebook, Snapchat and basically tons of big name companies, shady. Tell us what you are doing with updates. We want transparency. Even a little bit. You don't have to say why, at least tell us what.

Rsghegjffhk

While the rationale for changes would certainly be interesting, I would most value a changelog that simply listed changes and labeled them as feature updates, bug fixes, etc. This information for each patch should even already exist, provided Spotify's devs use anything even vaguely resembling proper source control. Regular changelogs help me stay patient with the dev process and help develop trust.

Edit: I forgot that I can disable automatic updates; I intend to do so until an update with substantive release notes.