Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Customize Start Screen

This is not a new idea, but I haven't found any practical reply to it, so I think it needs to be repeated. I completely agree with Rennestein (screen capture below), we need to stop seeing irrelevant suggestions because it is annoying. Why can't it be possible to decide what we first see when we open Spotify on any device? (playlists, recently played, artists we're following, etc), and enjoy better our Spotify experience?
Please Spotify, let us have the home screen as we'd like. :)) Thank you!
SPOTIFY customize screen.JPG

Updated on 2023-02-23

Hey folks,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Community and showing your support to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Update from the 23rd of Feb 2023:

A new feature was recently introduced in the mobile app which you may find interesting as it allows users to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of their Home screen, thus expanding upon the current customization options and offering a improved, more personalized experience. You can find more info about it in the Status update here.

Thanks.
Comments
ActiveUser

I recently dropped Spotify premium after being a member for a LONG time moreso because LGBTQ stuff is being thrown at me.  naturally most requests to remove only get met with *phobe remarks.   naturally these choices are the companies and don't care about  listeners.   so make a wise choice and leave the platform.  Deezer has a tool to transfer your playlists 500 at a time but can be done repeatedly.  so far have been happy with tje transfer.

viviedragon64

I listened to one episode of a podcast and now I can’t get it to stop coming up. I’m not interested in listening anymore or having it affect my recommendations. There is such a thing as trying something and it not working out. I feel like we should have an option to not have to see content we’re not a fan of. 

ebug

I have found a way to customize your Good Morning/Good Afternoon/Good Evening. Since this problem STILL hasn't been fixed, and there's clearly still high demand for a solution, I'm here to share my findings for an actual, albeit, temporary and clunky solution using the Web Player and App. Hope this helps:

• To get rid of unwanted Albums/Playlists; Open the Web Player and App, make sure they are linked but have the music play from the computer, go to the playlist you want to appear in the GM/GA/GE recs, click the big green Play Button to get a song started, let the song play for about a minute or two, click Home, then refresh the page. And voila! You should now have the playlist you actually want on the Home Screen!

• For Podcasts; Open the Web Player, add the one(s) stuck to the GM/GA/GE recs to your library, play it and go to the halfway point, mark it as "Played," remove it from your library, Home, Refresh, and that should do it! If that doesn't work try fast forwarding the podcast to have a few seconds left and let it finish on it's own, then add and remove it from your library.

Side Note: I have found that after doing a few refreshes in a row, it may seem like it stops working. In this case, it could just need a bit of time to catch up. Not sure how much exactly but they should change. Haven't tested it, but maybe clearing your browser cache and cookies might help make it work again too. And lastly, I've noticed that CarPlay sometimes reverts it back to what it was before this fix. To counter act this, make sure the Spotify App is open and on the Home Screen before you connect it to your car. Then once your CarPlay loads in, open the Spotify app there to sync the GM/GA/GE feed to the apps cache.

My recommendations weren't ever changing, no matter what I listened to or for how long/frequently. I just had a handful of random albums, playlists, and podcasts I've only played once or twice stuck on the Good Morning/Good Afternoon/Good Evening Home page. After looking literally everywhere, I couldn’t find anything to fix this. I could only find people saying that listening to playlists or albums for a long time eventually fixes it, but it doesn't for me.

I HATE that Spotify doesn't give us the option to customize our home page. Even just simply dismissing specific recommendations would be such a huge quality of life feature.

AmaliaK

Plan

Premium

Country

Romania

Device

phone + PC

Operating System

Android + Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Back in the past, I gave podcasts a chance. Big mistake, because now I can't remove them from my Home Screen.

This is a huge issue for me and I feel as if my GDPR rights are violated. There is NO way to remove podcasts. There is NO way to hide them. There is NO way to control your browsing history.

Considering I have a premium account, I should be able to customize my Home Screen, which became useless to me. I don't want music I don't usually listen to & podcasts shoved down my throat. 

I have cleared the cache, I have uninstalled & reinstalled the app - there's no way to reset your history and this is a HUGE issue.

bsford16

Over 11,000 votes for this option. How many votes against @Spotify? Why is there no solution implemented yet? Why have you not addressed the 111 pages of comments here with anything other than "feel free to vote." Given your ~450 million users, 11,000 votes is not that many, but you must take into account that this page is not widely accessible like your advertising and enrollment. People have brought up GDPR compliance issues and looks like they would have a strong case after a very quick review. For your own sake, give us the option to remove unwanted content from our home screens. 

MrBue

Fortunately, I haven't had a suggested podcast on my home page for at least two days.
I would be so happy if it stayed that way!

Mirsh45

It's not only about customization for some time that we dislike or want to be improved. There are a lot of cases (other reported cases) where recommendations are inappropriate (sexual content), controversial religious advertising (Religion content other than your beliefs), disturbing content, and so on. If you don't want to give me customization it's fine, just let me dislike all these items so they go away. Some of them are really disturbing. I am going to end my subscription until this is fixed.

TheColouredLife

Almost 5 years since the start of this "idea"...

It's not a wild or unusual thing to be able to remove unwanted content from your startpage. Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, ... The user is always at least able to remove channels/options they are no longer interested in. Why not here? 🫥

WhyOhWhy1

I mistakenly hit play on an NSFW podcast once while putting my phone in my pocket. Now it's in my Good Morning/Afternoon list and new episodes show up under "Your shows". When I'm in the car, it shows up on Android Auto. I still haven't found a way to remove it.

The fact Spotify have straight up refused to do anything about this is really unfortunate. They clearly have no regard for paying customers. They could simply replace that tile with another recommendation. But no, that's too much. Can't have happy customers, that's too crazy. SMH

Yordan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-02-23

Hey folks,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Community and showing your support to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Update from the 23rd of Feb 2023:

A new feature was recently introduced in the mobile app which you may find interesting as it allows users to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of their Home screen, thus expanding upon the current customization options and offering a improved, more personalized experience. You can find more info about it in the Status update here.

Thanks.