Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Customizing Spotify (Skins & Layout)

In such a highly customizeable world, where are the themes for spotify? My google chrome is wood theme and my text messaging app is an 19th century journal. Could spotify match? I think so. 

Thanks, 

Life-long user. 

Updated on 2023-03-21

Hey folks,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Community and showing your support to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.
Comments
MichaelTunnell

Here is an additional skin for Spotify based on Ubuntu 12.04 Ambiance - if you are not using the Linux version of Spotify then this may not be as helpful but I am also going to be releasing a tutorial on how to make a theme.

http://michaeltunnell.com/blog/16-linux/22-ubuntu-ambiance-theme-for-spotify-plus-radiance-icon

Marco

Cool!

Now we have my Windows Tutorial, your Linux - now just Mac is missing, anyone? 😉

Btw, maybe I'm missing some changes on Windows but tried it out and seems like you just changed some icons and the line highlighter?

Anyways, if you want to change more elements I've created some charts on what files you have to change for each element : here (for Version 0.8.8) Should not be too much difference for Linux.

JThorne

This is even more important after the latest 'update' (or should I say downdate as has been discussed in many other threads). Hopefully the API will be released so users can create custum themes and make theme available for anyone to use (eg. Firefox, Google, etc.)

Rorey
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hello everyone.

We have reviewed this idea with our designers and have decided not to implement this right now. We're still exploring the Spotify skin to find something you all love but the option to choose between multiple themes doesn't fit our design philosophy right now.

We're always sad when we can't implement an idea but naturally we can't do everything. As always, please leave us feedback in the comments below.

Marco

Feedback -> 😞

If you want to find a skin that we "all love" I have to burst your bubble: that is simple not possible.

Everyone has their own taste (which is good), just like the music we're listening to.

A simple option to choose a skin would make it more personalised and avoid such debates as currently about the white arist/album pages of the new version. For me and a lot of other people the design of the program we love is very important and there should definitely be an option to customize it.

Sodium

I disagree, Premify, when you say a skin that we "all love". It's not that complicated. It's not give each person one skin but just the old good bomb-proof grey skin. It's more rational, beautiful and hell it's cool. White is not cool. (There's a long time that iTune is not cool anymore).

There must be a way that some computer genious who makes it possible. The old layout back.

Marco

Sodium, sorry but now I disagree. It's all coming down to people's taste and I'm sure a lot of people have been fed up with the old grey skin. It was the reason I started creating my custom skins, and it's also the reasons why they were downloaded over 1500 times.

Sure a grey skin is nothing exciting/extreme, no one would probably "hate" it.

But you can't say that everyone would "love" it either.

jarofstars

Personally I would like to have the option to have skins that are similar to the older versions. I just updated and do not care for the white/light gray coloring and really prefer the dark gray/light gray, it's a lot easier on my eyes.

Cyborb

There is no design philosophy everybody can agree on.

Spotify should be easy on the eyes, day or night.  So give us a theme of light, and a theme of dark, and we will not go blind.

orpheus01

PLEASE allow a lighter version and darker version option in the app. The lighter version is very difficult on my eyes.