Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2021-09-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your votes and for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

As this idea has gathered a fair amount of votes, we've discussed it with the relevant team once again. We actually want to take a closer look at what you're experiencing and get some of you in touch with our devs.

@jonathanleyerle- since you initiated the thread it would be great if we can have you on board.

@j4m1eb, @PrestonSale@decker12@jules99- what you mention is particularly interesting, so we'd like to have you on board as well.

We'll send you more info via Community PM, so please make sure they're enabled in your Community settings.

If anyone else is interested in participating, please let us know in this thread. We'll reach out to you, should we need more folks.

Thanks!

Comments
galilo

I'm actually wondering if there was EVER a suggestion made by the community that saw the day light,

seems like this site platform is purely for the users to lay off some steam...

so many great idea, some of them with lots of votes gets zero attention by the devs.

some of them LITRELY require to change the UI back few version such as the heart button/queue tab in desktop/web!!?

in other news, someone experienced Apple Music playlist and can confirm that their playlist is actually been shuffled?

Will Spotify ever give an update? So incredibly frustrating

yuckycharms

The fact this is STILL AN ONGOING ISSUE IN 2024 is absurd especially after they were “working on it”. PLEEEEEEEASE fix, add, update, whatever this. This is a freakin music app! Id like it to work like one! I don’t want to hit shuffle and hear all the songs I’ve recently played. It’s like Spotify has rejection sensitivity “If I play the wrong song they’ll stop using me?!” *plays same 25 songs repeatedly*

What is it Spotify? Trying to save money on licensing with less skipped songs? Trying to keep users on app? At least be transparent why you have users begging for a true shuffle

and downloading third party fixes for your multi million dollar corporation. 

yuckycharms

Literally there’s a NEW comment on this specific issue WEEKLY.

FIX IT. RAHHH. 

TurboDiverArt

Honestly, while totally not idea and bordering on unacceptable in this day and age....  At this point I'd accept only being able to "reshuffle" your play list from the desktop app.  Generally my playlists are long and take many-many days of listening to get thru.  Heck, if there were a way to download the list, manually shuffle it in Excel or some other equally stupid way and then reupload it in the new order and play from song one to the end, I d accept it at this point.  Since it appears that after 4 years Spotify isn't going to deal with it in-app, I'll settle for a way to do it on the desktop and re-upload the new order manually.

rozeboosje

"[Take] the list, [...] shuffle it [...] [to create a] new order and play from song one to the end"

Amazon *slap* Music's *slap* Randomise *slap* Playlist *slap* does *slap* exactly *slap* that.

Your problem isn't Spotify. Your problem is that you're too afraid to leave a platform that treats you like this or your lack of awareness that Spotify has long since lost its prime position in the streaming music industry. Starting as a new, innovative company that cracked open the ivory tower of the music industry it has now become a lumbering dinosaur unable to shake its lunatic notion that it can dictate to its listeners what music they should be hearing and when.

Trust me. The grass is greener on the other side. Spotify is dead. It just doesn't know it yet.

oddindeed

thank you for the suggestion, Roze. talking with some friends we are now looking into the possibility to migrate to Amazon Music.

TurboDiverArt

Apple Music family plan is tempting.  Family has iPhone's and AppleTV+ subscription already.  Spotify is allowing all 4 of us on the family plan.  Looks like for the same price all the music can come from Apple Streaming and costs about the same as I'm paying now for AppleTV individually and Spotify family.  Now how to export our lists and import them into Apple Music.  I honestly hate changing but I'm increasingly getting annoyed with no shuffle and being ignored.  I may end up like you and switch but continue to follow this thread because it's like watching a train wreck as it's happening, you can't turn away.

TurboDiverArt

Anyone know if Apple Music is a true shuffle?  I'd be surprised if Apple was left behind......

Ladyishatara

To provide some extra context... if you happen to also use Aleax enabled devices (Echo Dot/Show) you can only have 80 songs on the playlist if you want to use shuffle. Anything more than that and repeat will just cut off the playlist. Don't know if that is a limitation with shuffle off or not, but I now have a folder full of playlists curated specifically for playing on the Alexa devices in the house.