Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
grey-lantern

Make it so.

zmokrycki
I just got hacked and then hacked once again after resetting my password. This 2 step needs to happen.

Any updates on this? This is a fantastic idea.

mikeweft

My account wouldn't have been stolen if I 2FA were available for spotify auth. Please reconsider adding it as a potential way to protect our accounts.

@ThomasVH wrote:

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

droptheearth

bump. 2FA and even email change confirmation link would have protected me from my credentials which were breached elsewhere (not from Spotify) from being used here. Yes, I realize I could have used a different password, but we all tend to use a few common passwords and don't admit we need 2FA to protect (And annoy) but save our butts from our accounts being taken over after being breached.

RedDown

This is a real issue. People get their accounts hacked all the time and sold on various sites. I have been offered: "Spotify Premium lifetime account for only 25 euro". Netflix have the same problem.

I want protect myself before this happens to me, too.

I find I a little weird to be honest, the list of entertainment companies Spotify, Netflix, Now TV, even Amazon(considering what Amazon sells and what information they have on you, it's a little bit odd they don't have 2fa).

Can honestly say if I use a service which has 2fa I've got it activated.

Pacosomething
Im glad to see there is already a motion on this topic. My account got hacked last week and i just got it back yesterday. Even if they had implimented 2-factor authentication to the ability to change the account email, that would've prevented my need to contact support.
putukas

If you have 2 step verification enabled and are not able to login with facebook account you can generate Application password on facebook and use it as spotify login. Check security settings on facebook and look for App passwords

Please introduce 2 factor authentication.