Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
MadmanOnWheels

I was addressing more than one person, here.

Landlocked put that it has led to lots of confusion. Quazar put that it is overlapping. It's not out of place, either. It's right in a place that doesn't block anything. There's other things above and below it, but I don't see people complaining about them (the "ADD SONGS" button, the playlist title, your username). If we didn't have it, then we would actually have something to complain about, because we wouldn't be able to truly shuffle the playlist, even with the "shuffle" symbol at the bottom. People, who want to shuffle playlists, want to be surprised by the order of the songs that are played, including the first one. That's the whole point.

There's already a way to play songs in order. Just press the first song. For everyone who wants to take away the "SHUFFLE PLAY" button, and replace it with a "PLAY" button, that's contradictory. It would be something "taking up space", the same way that it's implied that the current button does. Plus, it would take away something from us, who want it, while others already had the option to play without shuffling.

People really need to think about both sides of it, before complaining about something. We both have an option, with it. Only one side gets what it wants, without it. Do you get it, now?

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed it, green is Spotify's brand color. It's bright, so we hit it, mkre easily. Whst color would you have expected or wsnt it to be? It shouldn't be [Google Play Music] orange, like they used on the "Play" button on video that they sent to us, recently.

chrisforsberg

Well, if they just put a setting to turn it on or off, everyone could be happy, right. DO YOU GET THAT?

MadmanOnWheels

I already stated that, in my previous comment to your first one to me. I have also taken the time, months ago, to design [a picture of] an alternative that I posted.

BIGRICK
Yeah, OK. Its still too big, intrusive and too green.
hey_dude
You have two buttons like Tidal has, one for play and the other for
shuffle, in general it makes no sense to me to shuffle play an album,
playlist yes, but not an album
PeterJenkins

@MadmanOnWheels wrote:

Don't remove the shuffle button, Spotify. It's fine. If anything, just have an option to remove it, in the settings, or split it in half. Make one side "Shuffle Play" and the other side just "Play".

Really this is all we ask! I dont mind Shuffle Ply being the default, just give us the option to remove it/ change it to play

MadmanOnWheels

To BIGRICK,

How do you see that it's too big and intrusive? It's not in the way of anything. What are you trying to push, that it gets in your way, and causes you toaccidentally put it? I've never had any problems with it. The purpose of the size snd color (which again is Spotify' brand color) is that you can easily see it, to press it, so you don't accidentally press something else.

To hey_dude,

Yes, there is a "Shuffle" symbol/button and "Play" button, at the bottom, but that won't start a playlist or album. When you have been playing something else, or just open the application, and want to start a new playlist or album, you have to press the first song or the "SHUFFLE PLAY" button at the top. The thing that I don't get is why ya'll, who don't want to shuffle playlist or albums, complain about this button, and why ya'll don't just press the first song to start your albums or playlists. Can you answer that, the second part, especially?

What makes the most sense, beside or in addition to giving people the option to remove the "SHUFFLE PLAY" button, is what is in the attached picture, or something to that affect."SHUFFLE PLAY" Button Solution (part 1)"SHUFFLE PLAY" Button Solution (part 1)

Part 2 is the option to remove it, but that would still leave the other half (the "PLAY" button (replacing it or the same size and just centered).

BIGRICK
I think its too big and intrusive. If you don't, that's great. Reasonable
people can disagree. Its not important that everyone agree with you about a
button on an app.
MadmanOnWheels

We don't have to agree, but I'm trying to get you to see why it shouldn't be removed. It's because it's actually necessary to initiate playing of albums and playlists. Also, you haven't answered my question, which leads me to believe that there's no credibility, behind your statement. I hope you can see the logic in my explanation. Maybe then you'll agree that it doesn't need to be removed, at least, completely. Otherwise, you're just out for what you want, without putting a lot of thought into it. I asked you why you thought what you thought, to see the reason, and maybe come up with a better solution. At least I presented a solution, and with thought for both sides.

BIGRICK
There's nothing more pathetic than someone who wants to have a big argument
over a button on an app.