Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
MadmanOnWheels

No, there's nothing more pathetic, than someone whining and complaing about the color, size, and it being intrusive, but back up how. You're on the side that started the argument for taking it away. I'm defending my side, because it would affect me (and others); I use the application, pretty much everyday. You're also pathetic for not realizing it, with everything that I've laid out, in my argument for keeping it. Just get it, will you?

I considered your side. So, how about acceping my plan as a solution, or come up with your own that considers both sides, or lay off?

por

Reasons for letting the Shuffle button go (or change to play / shared play+shuffle) have already been laid out quite extensively. Just read through all the feedback.

How is the shuffle button confusing and frustrating you? It has the words for exactly what it does, right on it. Also, for those who want to start from the first song, just press the first song.

1. Shuffle does not make sense as the default action for albums.
  2. Big meaningless default action button makes playing the album as it was meant to be listened counterintuitive and slightly more difficult as you need to scroll downwards to see the first song to press (see this https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Remove-the-Shuffle-Play-Button/idc-p/4461244/high...)

And yes, on bigger screens you can see the first song without scrolling down. Good for you.

As an additional note - Spotify does remember the shuffle and repeat choices made on the now playing screen. A plain Play button, which would honor those settings would in my opinion cater for both - people supporting and opposing this proposal. The shuffle button makes even less sense considering that.

BIGRICK
It's not an argument. It's a comment I made. No, we are not going to debate
it. I made a comment, then you did. That's it. It's a button on an app.
Don't make it into an argument.
unseenlarks
MadmanOnWheels

BIGRICK,

You're the one who insiuated that it was an argument. Yeah, I knkw the obvious, thst it's a button on an application. I could point the finger at you for making a big deal about it, too. I was defending it, because I use it. You pushed back. If you don't want to debate it, then don't, but stop fighting for it to be taken away. I will debate it, if needed. I don't doubt that you will, too.

Just come up with something better than "Take the button away.", just because you don't like it.

BIGRICK
Take the button away. Just because I don't like it.
MadmanOnWheels

And a crybaby comments. I figured I could depend on that. Some people just refuse to be happy with a solution.

For those who want Spotify to actually do something that makes sense and will appease everyone, please accept my idea, on the previous page, as a solution. It's better than complaining. I understand complaining, but having a solution with it is better, and we have one, now. So, there's no more reason to. Please, check the previous page.

If the "Shuffle Play" button is so necessary, why isn't it on the web or desktop versions of Spotify? Why do those only have a "Play" button?

If you had a "Play" button on the mobile app, it would still respect the Shuffle setting in the UI, so you can still be surprised by the first song once you hit play. Shufflers get what they want, people who want things played in the regular sequence get what they want.

Speaking as someone who 99.99% of the time never wants to shuffle, from my perspective the button seems like a big eyesore because it's so visually prominent, begging for a tap, and I almost never use it. If it were a "Play" button that respected the Shuffle setting, then I'd be fine with it and would use it.

chrisforsberg

Why is this so hard, and why do we need to discuss this back and forth. Just make it a setting and everyone can be happy, simple as that!

I'm an app developer, and I know it takes a few minutes to implement, so even if you add some testing and release management (most should be automated), it's basically no cost.

MadmanOnWheels
  • The web version does not have a shuffle symbol. And because it does not have "Shuffle Play" button on the computer or mobile version, it does not give us the option to shuffle, provided that it would even play, which it doesn't. On the mobile web version, opens the Spotify application to that playlist or album, and still doesn't play. You have to press something, once you're there. On the computer version, it has a "Play On Spotify" button that brings up two other buttons, "Get Spotify" & "Open Spotify". I don't know who would use it, anyway, at least on a regular basis. As for why the Computer application version (which you refer to as the desktop version) only has a "Play" button, I don't know, but I would guess that it's either a lack of thought or because the interface is so big, and it's easier press the shuffle symbol (not that I agree with it lacking the "Shuffle Play" button). That's a good question. Maybe I should start a post to get that implemented. I use the mobile application a lot more, though.
  • If I had a "Play" button on the mobile application, it would only respect the shuffle setting, if we manually set it, ech time. We should not have tondo that. The button os there for a reason. Those, who don't want to shuffle or want the button, get what they want, because they can just press the first song. That's always an option.
  • The big green (which is Spotify's brand color) button is not an eyesore. It's funny how you consider it an eyesore, when it's a "Shuffle Play" button, but not one, if it were a just "Play" button. That's another hypocrisy in your side of the argument. What I have presented, as a solution, does exactly what you would be fine with, giving the OPTION to remove the "Shuffle Play" button, while keeping a "Play" button. So, please check page 50 (the previous page), and accept my idea as a solution, if it's an option. It considers those on all sides of this issue:
  • Those who don't want the "Shuffle Play" button, but want a "Play" button
  • Those who don't want a button at all
  • Those who want the "Shuffle button"