Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Set Spotify as Default Player

Android applications seem to support some form of integration with the Android OS to identify as a music player.

Going to: Settings > Apps > *Gear Icon* > *Default Section* > Music app:

I'm able to select which application on my phone should be the default app for music, and the phone presents me with a list of choices:

• Google Play Music
  • MX Player Pro
  • ES File Explorer Pro
  • IPTV Pro.

As you can see, Spotify is not on the list. If those apps can make it to the list, so can Spotify. Would be really great to see official integration with Android in this regard, especially because such integration helps a lot when connecting the phone with the car!

Screenshot attached.

Phone: OnePlus 5

OS Build: ONEPLUS A5000_23_170624

Thanks

(P.S. Originally posted in the Android section, but was recommended to post it here)

Screenshot_20170626-220941.png

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
teh1337pwnerer

😂 what a joke... How hard is it to get spotify on Android as a "music player" so that we can set it as our preferred default music player. 

Using Huawei mate 10 pro. 

gasparyyc

Please add this feature.. We can't use Spotify as a music player on Android. 

Vyras

Spotify, Please, add this ASAP.
Now when my car's bluetooth connects to my phone - the stock MUSIC starts and I can't make spotify to start instead of annoying stock app.

Gonwan

Exactly how hard can this be?

On connecting to my car Bluetooth it opens the default music player, as I can't choose Spotify, currently using Google Music

Murazaki

"Marked as new idea" ...

This is not a "new idea"... You need to unlock this, because it means a whole lot of music player integration is not working with your app ! Even Google Assistant is looking for the default app instead of the one set in the Google settings...

memnarch

How is this not implemented yet?! This is crucial functionality for playing music over bluetooth.

YvDelx

This feature would increase the user experience. It can be used to start music directly from the Bluetooth command (for example in a car).

Kepee

Come on Spotify! You literally need to add one or two lines of code to make this work! How hard can it be?

Bsb897

Would be really awesome if we can make this the default . I'm a bit confused seeing how other streaming services like apple music and Google Play can have monthly subscriptions and show up as defaults while Spotify cannot at the end of the day. Yes I understand those are stock apps but I thought Android was supposed to boost customizability. I even have an offline playlist that is downloaded to my phone so it seems a bit confusing as to why this is not implemented. Any update is appreciated!

Kumla12

I just switched from iOS to Android and was deeply disappointed to find out that Spotify doesn't work as good in my VW car as it did with my iOS device. Please fix this!!!