Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Set Spotify as Default Player

Android applications seem to support some form of integration with the Android OS to identify as a music player.

Going to: Settings > Apps > *Gear Icon* > *Default Section* > Music app:

I'm able to select which application on my phone should be the default app for music, and the phone presents me with a list of choices:

• Google Play Music
  • MX Player Pro
  • ES File Explorer Pro
  • IPTV Pro.

As you can see, Spotify is not on the list. If those apps can make it to the list, so can Spotify. Would be really great to see official integration with Android in this regard, especially because such integration helps a lot when connecting the phone with the car!

Screenshot attached.

Phone: OnePlus 5

OS Build: ONEPLUS A5000_23_170624

Thanks

(P.S. Originally posted in the Android section, but was recommended to post it here)

Screenshot_20170626-220941.png

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Baptizein

I'm on the latest Android update, on OnePlus 3...

Add it, please !

Pasca1

Just here to push this idea. All is said above. You need to add this asap. Still not showing as music player on Android 9.0..

RoyMi6

Jesus... Made the same move from iOS to Android today and what the **bleep**... Why isn't this an option??!

danks

What's the status on this? It's very frustrating, not to mention dangerous, to be fiddling with your phone to start Spotify while driving when it should start by default when hitting "play"on your Bluetooth appliance (be it your car or a Bluetooth connected speaker).

C'mon Spotify, get with the program. What am I paying for here?

MichalMal

It's time to say goodbye for spotify if this problem will not be solved. 

MichalMal

I was testing Google Music when I was riding my motorcycle. This player works well if I set up it as a default music player.

Come on Spotify - solve problem.

edwin_r_c

I voted for this a more than a year ago. Currently on a Oneplus 6T with Android 9 and the only option I have for a music app is Google Play.

jackfetzen

It's been more than two years now and it still isn't implemented, seems like they just don't care, that's really sad, what are we even paying for? 

PabloDons

I think this deserves some more attention from the Spotify devs. This seems to be such a trivial thing to implement, yet here I am 2 years later with no update except that you can do this for Google related services like assistant.

Only thing I can imagine is there being some kind of dispute between Android and Spotify prompting them to actively prevent Spotify from making this change. I just want to be able to press play on my Bluetooth device and have my phone launch Spotify for me instead of vlc player.

denNorske

Thing is that Spotify is not counted as a media player, but a music
streamer. Android classifies music players as the apps able to play music
locally, whereas Spotify is not made for that.

This is probably the main reason Spotify is not selectable by default. Stop
longing out against the devs due to such a trivial feature which can be
worked around on almost every device 🙂 (for those of you who are mad ofc) 

To launch another app on play, you can use apps like "Bluetooth auto connect" - an app I used with my Huawei and s8 for a while just because of this. Similar apps are available many places.