Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Option to deactivate Spotify Connect

I want to have the opption to turn it off. Please fix this, i wan't to listen to music and still be online without connect starts.

Please fix this. 

Jag vill gärna kunna använda spotify på en telefon utan att den andra telefonen ska börja dra batteri för att ni kommit på denna tjänst utan en avstängningsfunktion. Då ni är Svenska som startat detta hoppas jag på att ni accepterar svensk text. Och en svensk meny till spotify hade varit trevligt. 🙂

Från en trogen användare sedan år tillbaka 🙂

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
redsd

Please give us the choise to turn this on or off.

I don't want people on my ipad being able to control my volume and my music control.

mitchman

I'm amazed that this isn't an option to begin with.  Connect must be the most annoying misfeature I've ever seen in Spotify. 

roblarsen

+1

How the hell do I disable this feature other than killing the Spotify process? Spotify thinks I really want my battery wasted, but I can assure you, I'd rather not waste power for soemthing I will never use. I have two laptops and two phones all with spotify installed. Are all four devices going to turn on every time I start the app?

rsbohman

This just started up for me this week.

Noticed my phone battery was dying extremely quickly, so after some investigation, I saw that Spotify was always running on it, pulling information about what I was listening to on Spotify on my computer, providing the option to switch devices. 

I can't see myself using the feature, and now have to keep Spotify in "Offline mode" to prevent (rapid) battery and data drain. 

Definitely needs to be optional an optional feature.

brocktastic

Here is my scenario:

Spotify running on either iPad or Desktop (Mac; Spotify version: 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad).

Spotify on Android starts running.  It was not running before.  I have to manually go and kill all spotify instances running - force stop.

I'm very aware of this because my phone and ipad are sitting next to my laptop.  This drains the battery on my android device.  It also changes any song that I may have paused on my device.  So there another problem, the song I was listening to while I was using my phone and stategically paused is no longer there.

Please add the ability to allow a device to be controlled by connect or to turn disable connect on the device.  I don't need all of my devices running Spotify, when they are all sitting on the desk right next to me.

I have one account and only want to run it on one device.  I have lots of devices (3 Macs, 1 iPhone, 1 iPad, 2 Android phones, 1 PC).  Please give me control over how Connect runs on each device.

I originially started a thread about this, you can browse my here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/664472

coryt50

This "Connect" feature just started showing up for me this week, and I fully support the previous posters: We need the option to disable it.

The way I use Spotify is presumably very typical. I am not gaming the system, I am not setting up one account for multiple people to share.

I have Spotify on my phone (iOS). This is where I set up "Starred" Playlists for things like running, mowing the lawn, or use in my car.

On my Desktop (PC), where I always have an Internet connection, I queue up new albums/releases and listen to them while I am at work. I typically have about 100 songs in this queue at any given time.

Since "Connect" was FORCED upon my account, this experience has been completely ruined. 

Every morning I listen to my Spotify while going for a run, and afterwards I sit down at my desk to start work, and my entire queue is deleted, having been replaced with the songs I was listening to on my phone. 

Spotify Product Team: Based upon the long history of this request (I saw a chain that was started in February) and your lack of action to date, is it safe to assume you will never add a "Disable" feature for Connect?

If so, that needs to be put into a formal response. You cannot continue to leave your paying customers in a state of limbo.

And if that is indeed the case, that no "disable connect" option will ever be added, can you explain to me how I go about using your app in the way I have described above? I have been a customer for about 3 years using Spotify exactly as I outlined, and it would appear this feature addition means that you no longer support my preferred method of using of your service. From a development standpoint, this could be described as a serious gap in backwards compatibility, or a major hole in your QA/testing procedures.

As a workaround, I have placed my phone in "Offline Mode" - but that is merely a band-aid for the time being. The reason I prefer to queue up new releases on my desktop is so that I can discover new music and mark some of my favorite tracks as "Starred". This does no good if I can never actually sync the Starred tracks locally to my OFFLINE phone without completely breaking your app.

rsboarder
Yes, please! Make this is very annoying feature especially when you have different devices and listen different music on it.
Simonsen

Just encountered this lovely new 'feature', when it turned on the family PC blaring out 'A tale they won't believe', instead of playing (a completely different) song I thought I'd started on the ipad with ear-plugs. Thanks for waking up my 6 year old daughter.

This is a complete cluster**bleep** of a feature, and shows why upgrading in the world of 'move fast and break **bleep**' should be done only while wearing a hazmat suit. It's not a 'maybe we should look at it' feature , it's a I-am-cancelling-my-subscription-next-month type feature. Right now spotify is unusable for anyone who's got more than one device; if that's what you want, I guess you can go the way of a long line of abusive DRM solutions. Say hi to Zune when you see him.

Most casual users (like me) won't bother to register to give you feedback. I guess the metrics in 2-3 months will be your notice.

alwaysanswerb

I have also just been "gifted" this functionality. I noticed because every so often, my desktop computer stops playing whatever I have asked it to play in the middle of the song, and seems to instead be paused in the middle of some random song from the playlist last used on my Android phone. Also, as other users have stated, I LIKED being able to play different playlists across different devices; I don't want playing something on one device to ablate the queue on another.

zebishop

Right now, the way connect works is SO broken that I'm considering canceling my premium account I had for the last 5 years. I don't want that crappy feature that ruins the experience I had so far.