Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Select default sound device for Spotify Connect

Currently Spotify defaults to using the default sound device when launched, it would be neat if you could choose which sound device you want to use instead in the options screen.

Thanks

Updated on 2023-08-23

Hey everyone,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Community and showing your support to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.
Comments
Ivellios

@secutor666 -- there IS such a thing! I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting us know!

I think @sanraal should update this post and write about such option! 

secutor666

@Ivellios wrote:

@secutor666 -- there IS such a thing! I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting us know!

I think @sanraal should update this post and write about such option! 

If you look through the last few pages here, yeah, there is such a thing. Wasn't aware of this either until a few month ago. I think this was part of a big windows 10 update in feburary. And yes, a mod should mention this and edit this thread, it's outdated. But this was created in 2012 and here we are, 6 years later. Hehe. 

acgp

--enable-audio-graph - this does not enable the exclusive mode as in Tidal.

dave-sf

I tried this on win10, and it works great to send the sound to a different device....

...however, recently the spotify desktop app keeps hanging.. sometimes with a top-error-banner "cannot play song", and sometimes it just outright hangs and I have to kill it in Task Manager. I don't know if it's because I enabled this advanced feature, or because of something else on my machine.

As a result, I've switched to using the web-player in chrome as an app shortcut.. because it's more reliable.

secutor666

Are you using the startparameter or the native windows 10 solution? the start parameter doesn't work anymore since windows 10 included this natively within the OS. look through the last few pages here. 

As stated above... make sure you're either back to using the menu to launch the desktop browser, or edit your desktop icon to remove the "switches" which enabled the spotify "beta" function.

CptShadows

I have this issue too.. Massive memory leak, using all of my 32GB of RAM.. Haven't found any solutions to it unfortunately, which really sucks. I was so happy when I realised I could finally set an output (HOW HARD CAN IT BE, SPOTIFY DEVS?), so my recordings didn't have music in them. But, no. This 7 YEAR old post still hasn't really been worked on. Extremely disappointed.
@Ivellios wrote:

This option has one giant flaw: causes Spotify to leak memory. After months of pushing back and forward messages with Spotify Cares via Twitter (multiple support guys ehh...) and hearing that they do not support Windows 10 WIB or Linux (they finally did something when I mentioned MacOS though -- which is weird, but... ok), I have finally found issue myself. The reason was this extra run option. 

If you chose to use this option, after some time (random) your songs will stop playing. The song progress bar will get to the end and stop at 0:00. Play/Pause button will not work at all. Nothing will work. 

But if you look at your Windows Task Manager the memory use will constantly grow. Finally reach 99%. Windows will start to page the memory swapping with drive. But at one point Windows will say: "no more" and crash. In my case it somehow destroyed boot records for the partition and gave me lots of headackes.

So this is a warning to anyone who would like to use this option: it will most probably crash your Windows 10 and may cause lots of more damage. Do not use it. 

It is a shame that Spotify after so much time didn't provide audio device pick option in settings within normal run mode. I feel angry about that as well. Also because I wanted to use their API for the app I create, but now I do not know if popularizing such buggy and unsupported software is a good idea. 

I leave this message for anyone who in the future might come across the same issue. It took me 4 months of fighting Spotify support to finally find out myself what is the reason. I guess someone who would do reverse engineering of their app would faster find the exact issue reason, than their devs team, because they seem to support no platform at all. And still take money for premium from people like us. Sad...

Cheers people! Good luck!

dave-sf

I see... Win10 has new settings to send apps to custom sound devices... it's just hidden in Win10's confusing multiple control-panel mess.... You have to go into the "new" settings control panel (Which I never use), and then Sound -> "App volume ande device preferences"

https://www.intowindows.com/set-different-audio-output-devices-for-different-programs-in-windows-10/

Glen949

After months of enjoying using this trick, it stopped working for me today.  What's up?

CptShadows

Yep, same here.. worked fine, realised my recordings were now also capturing my music again 😕