Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
murpsel

@ENI Here's another example with random audio book in the daily mix.

"Hey - these are from some audio books you might like. Why not listen to these chapters without any context but with a high risk of spoilers?"

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1E37LNiKjkX9DS?si=bb2c851438e54412

shanander

I use the bookmark feature in audiobook apps FREQUENTLY! I listen to audiobooks while cleaning, doing chores, driving, etc. and often get distracted/space out. I bookmark my audiobooks frequently while listening so I can go back easily when I get distracted. Now, I have to guess where the last spot I remembered is and it’s frustrating.

HavujaPerkele

Need just general bookmarks, with tags and optional message/label. Should work with any type of audio content from Spotify; music, books, podcasts. 

Btw, I was interrupted TWICE by this really annoying feedback popup while writing this.

Gg Spotify, gg.

hamiltonkieran

I have been a Spotify customer for nearly a decade at this point. I listen to academic audiobooks and other books for research purposes and it is essential that I am able to bookmark. This is a feature with Audible and other audiobook readers. Please implement this! 

Greenjack

It's absolutely absurd that there is no bookmark option for audio books. EVERY other audio book player I have ever used has one, even the free apps. I read Brandon Sanderson books. Some of them are over 50 hours long, I'm not trusting that to an app without bookmarks.

I was literally looking for an alternative to Audible and would have chosen Spotify if there were bookmarks for the audio books.I'm sure many others would have done the same. Instead of constantly prodding me for a premium membership, how about you implement something that would make me actually want to get one.