Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Queue] Queue to Next or Last

Present two options on rightclick, Queue Last and Queue Next. Very easy to implement, and useful. 

The way I been using spotty lately is to keep adding to Play Queue, it has gotten really long and sometimes I want to listen to something right now, then I have to add to queue and then move the songs all the way up to the top.

Mediamonkey have had this implemented since long ago. Mediamonkey is btw the best musicorganizer I've ever owned or tried. 

Updated on 2023-03-28

Hey there,

Thanks for this submission. We had a slight hiccup with moving ideas to different boards, but it's all good now.

We're setting the status of this one as "not right now", but that doesn't mean that your votes don't count.

Cheers!

Comments
ejas

please add a playnext button with adds the song to the top of the queue. it's inconvenient to add a song to the end of the queue and them have to drag it to the top every time you want to play a song right after the currently playing one. 

Veectur

I really enjoy using the app, however the app seemed to lack one extremely important thing, which is a Play Next button for albums and single, so that I can be able to listen to that specific song or album immediately after the current playing song without altering my queue or playlist. The lack of a play next button on Spotify make me resort to other apps.

Thanks.

St_Moritz

Great idea.  I know of no other media players or streamers where "queue" means "barge in after the next track". They always add the selection to the end.  It is definitely the most annoying thing about the Spotify experience, particularly as it's not how a queue is supposed to work - and I live in the UK so I should know 🙂 - so I do feel that it is misleading as to what it actually does.

GuiBeal

It's been over 10 years and spotify still neglects this 💀

adedaporh

I have been using Spotify for 3 years now and the only drawback is the frustrating queue feature and it seems to be a fairly common source of frustration for other people. Here are examples of other posts on this issue https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/6xwieb/spotify_pls_add_an_add_playlist_to_queue_button/ https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/94dijp/why_is_there_no_play_next_button_to_add_something/ https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/c8yzl6/anybody_else_thats_irritated_by_the_lack_of_play/
I think Spotify screws it's users in 2 of the worst ways on this matter.
First is terminology. A queue by definition, grows by adding things to the end of it. So Add to queue should actually add a song to the end of the cureent queue of songs to be played. However, if you are listening to a playlist, and you add a song to the queue, it should actually play last i.e. at the end of the current queue of songs but it adds it to the top. By the way, adding t0 the bottom should be the expected behaviour as your playlist becomes a queue once you start to play it. This is why you can rearrange songs in the queue without affecting the playlist itself--it becomes a temporary queue structure.
Second is inconsistency. It seems there is a set of people who prefer to add multiple songs on the fly to the queue. But 2 things happen which are just... wrong. When you are playing from a playlist, and you add a song to the queue, it adds it at the top as I've mentioned but then it starts behaving like a proper queue again. So subsequent songs are now placed behind the previously added songs.
This 2 problems lead to cognitive difficulty for users because they have to redefine what a queue means to add one song to the queue and suddenly have to readjust when adding multiple songs to the queue.
This is unacceptable from a reputable tech company like Spotify. Solution. Make Add to queue do what exactly it means to do: add to the end of the current queue. All the time. Then, add a play next feature for add songs to the top of a queue (like a stack of plates). The cognitive load is less stressful. Apple music has this feature already (with helpful icons I might add). Speaking of Apple music, I am also a user and I rememeber suggesting a feature to allow adding whole playlists and albums to the end of the queue (called Play Later) and it was done fairly quickly afterwards. I don't understand why Spotify has not worked on this feedback for years now.

yeah1980

Unbelievable that after 10 years this is still missing!

(And now the premium fee is increased...)

aRandomWolf

Have two options on how to add songs

Problem: I click play on an album/playlist, after that album/playlist is finished I already now, that I want to listen to this other album/playlist. The only workaround right now is to create a new playlist beforehand with both albums/playlists and delete it again after listening.

Add to queue: Adds a song to play as the next song (just like the queue behaves right now)

Add at the end: Adds a song (or album) at the end of the currently played playlist or album.

jparis1

It's hard to believe that this feature still isn't available.

Billyandstacy

Next instead of queue!!!

tedium

Ten years without implementing this has created other hiccups in the UX. (Pls save me.)

When you add an item to the queue on mobile (iOS), the snackbar (little notification saying you’ve successfully added it to the queue) immediately covers the queue button.

Yet the only way to move an item to the “up next” position in the queue is manually. As a result, you have to wait for the snackbar to time out to access the queue to move the song(s) you’ve added, which, though the time may seem insignificant, becomes an increasingly annoying recurrence as you build your queue.

It would (obviously) be preferable not to have to wait while creating and managing the queue. It would be even more preferable to be able to immediately queue something up next (I beg), but I’m assuming that’s been shelved this long for development reasons, so maybe a smaller item like the placement and/or behavior of the snackbar could be addressed as a tangential, associated issue.