Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Teacher Discount

It would be great if Spotify offered a teacher discount for Spotify Premium.  Increasingly I am using Spotify in my classroom, but it is frustrating to have to constantly monitor it and jolt across the classroom to mute the ads.  I am happy to support the artists I listen to by paying for Spotify Premium, except that with ever more budget constraints, especially to arts programs, it is not feasible to shell out $120/yr from the school's or my own personal budget.  I believe that if a teacher discount was offered, we would also be able to promote the use of Spotify with our own students thereby increasing Spotify's users.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
arlo_bigsley

Free teacher subscriptions would give spotify unlimitided access to the children!!!  Spotifiy its a complete no brainer.

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2015-12-31

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search. This is a repost of the following inactive idea.

pygmywolf

Teacher/student/education discount is an excellent idea! If such a thing were offered I would have become a spotify user years ago. I only graduated from my undergrad last year and recently aquired a full time job with decent enough pay that I can now justify the $10 per month. 

Please seriously offering something like this. Making your service as easy to access as possible creates user habits that are very likely to be carried over once they are no longer in school meaning more premium users for spotify when they are actually making a decent income to support themselves. 

rdrfx7

As a teacher I think this is a great idea. While I'd love it to be the full version so I could mooch of it, I'd understand if it was limited to justify the lower cost. Maybe even just take out the ability to play any song labeled [explicit]? Of course, if you'd like to reward us poor educators with the full Spotify catalogue at a discount I'd take it!

But seriously, I teach 4th grade and I see how kids grow a brand loyalty very quickly. I think it'd be a wise investment for spotify to cultivate the upcoming generation now.

impulsee120

I feel that this would give spotify more subscriptions because then students would see the value in this in the classroom.

I have had spotify for years and keep it because I love it 🙂 Hope this goes through!

dvdshadow

My wife is a teacher and we aren't willing to pay $20/month for us both to listen to music, and even the $15/month for family is a little much for us (she teaches at a small private school and I work retail). Any way to help us save money has got my vote!

teach_4_ever

Growing up, I constantly heard my mom say how she wants better music. She doesn't like using an iPod because she is not so tech savvy and iTunes is so constricted compared to Spotify. As a Physical Education teacher, she relys heavily on finding great music for her students to enjoy during class. I think many of us may remember waiting for the teacher to put in the other cd...just to listen to another song. Nowadays, we may try youtube which plays a video ad or worse has annoying wait time before it plays. I think teachers can greatly benefit from having spotify, but many of us shy away from it because it takes so much away from our budget. If I paid $120 for the year, I would barely have enough to buy other classroom materials that my students so desperately need throughout the year. Please consider giving teachers a discount. Spotify would definitely be promoted in my classroom if this could happen! Like said before, students would see us using it and would want to get it too.

@celticmelody1 wrote:

It would be great if Spotify offered a teacher discount for Spotify Premium.  Increasingly I am using Spotify in my classroom, but it is frustrating to have to constantly monitor it and jolt across the classroom to mute the ads.  I am happy to support the artists I listen to by paying for Spotify Premium, except that with ever more budget constraints, especially to arts programs, it is not feasible to shell out $120/yr from the school's or my own personal budget.  I believe that if a teacher discount was offered, we would also be able to promote the use of Spotify with our own students thereby increasing Spotify's users.

hminsky89

I think that there should be a teacher discount. So many teacher's would utilize this if there was a discount. I currently have the 3 month trial and use it every day in my classroom. I don't know what I will do once my trial is up since my school can't pay that much a year and I can not use my own money to pay the yearly cost.  

meredith713

I teach music history, and Spotify has a HUGE library of the music that I want to introduce to my classes. I would adore a teacher  discount -- I cannot justify the expense of the membership, which is sad but completely the truth.

Please consider making this an option?

davemacdo

I teach music using Spotify as the primary source for listening assignents (university composition students). They are required to have Spotify Premium accounts. I would really appreciate extending the student discount to educators.