Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Airplay 2 Support for iOS

New idea for earlier closed ideas:

Experiencing delay with Spotify when streaming to multiple Airplay 2 devices. Works with Apple Music 

Updated on 2021-08-07

Hello everyone,

We apologize for any confusion we have caused. To clarify, Spotify will support Airplay 2. Please continue to use this thread to add your votes and comments.

We’ll post updates when they become available.

Comments
Xenia
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-08-05

Hello everyone,

We've discussed this Idea internally and while we are working on supporting AirPlay2 in a proper way, we have decided to close it for now.

The reason for this is that due to audio driver compatibility issues, this seems like a bigger project that we won't be able to complete in the foreseeable future.

Please keep adding your votes and comments here and as soon as we have anything new to share, we'll check back with an update.

Xenia
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-08-07

Hello everyone,

We apologize for any confusion we have caused. To clarify, Spotify will support Airplay 2. Please continue to use this thread to add your votes and comments.

We’ll post updates when they become available.

Spaceboy88

Huh?! I think we need more clarity on why you closed this, said you're not planning on supporting AirPlay 2 in a proper way, and a few days later (after a big backlash in social media), say you "will support AirPlay 2."

Squuiid

@xenia, given your prior response of having supposedly discussed it internally and decided against the feature I think we deserve more of an explanation on the U-turn.

That a much smaller company, with far fewer resources, Deezer, can produce world class iOS apps that put Spotify to shame, with both Lossless Siri based HomePod support and Airplay 2, should be frankly embarrassing for Spotify devs and management.

Your silence on the matter is deafening.

Lego21397

You should be embarrassed Spotify for the press you’re recirculating from this latest confusion stunt you pulled. 

Noel18

So one update says, “we will not add buffered audio support in your lifetime” and the next update says, “we will add buffered audio, just not in your lifetime”. 

It looks like OGG streams are not supported for buffered audio but AAC is and you already use AAC for your web client which IS supported for buffered audio. So there is your “audio driver” compatibility solution right there.

I get that you don’t like Apple and dragged your feet adding Apple Watch streaming and offline support. Now you want to drag your feet on AirPlay2. I understand you have law suits againsed Apple for being too closed yet you will not take advantage of any openness Apple provides. Your legal team allowed you to support the watch, are they advising you not support AirPlay2? Does it compromise your lawsuits or something?

Customers are getting annoyed. 

The minute this becomes a reality, I will become a subscriber.

c6_xpgu-y5erd

[first post] - I am a life-long Spotify user who is also beginning to feel the ugly pain of collateral damage in the Apple wars.  Many Apple users are rooting for you, Spotify. But you've got to help us by putting a spring in your step helping make your product work well everywhere - even with the Apple garden.

CXLewis

Yes, please!

DesignByAdrian

Spotify: "We have decided to close it, by that we mean that we are working on it"