Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
homepoduseronsp0tify

Now it's just hope.

homepoduseronsp0tify

Spotify just replied:

We understand that implementing this support could be very useful for a lot of customers and that this idea is in this status for a while.

We value your feedback and we'll address this matter to our technical team.

We can assure you that Spotify takes in consideration each voice, but for some of the ideas to implemented it could take a bit more technical time and market integration, that is why we can't give you more information on when will be considered or executed, but we hope that it will be soon as we understand its importance and convenience for our users. 

tryingtothink
How did they all get so rich. I recall a quote from Mr Ek along the lines
of 'Like all entrepreneurs I like things done yesterday'. Words not quite
exact but I think I posted the exact ones last year.

izzoa1

Unfortunately it looks like that email reply is the most canned PR response imaginable. If they were actually considering this idea then they probably would’ve given a real update within the last 2 years…..

CakeMixCore

Damn, I had to wash my eyes after reading that email; I hope the support did not hurt his cmd+c/v too hard on this one.

But there is somewhat information in this:

"..., that is why we can't give you more information on when will be considered or executed,..."

From what I can extract, they are in the "considering"-phase; so someone has at least put this on a post-it 🙂

To be honest, this does not look promising. I am guessing some of the problems could be with their way of buffering and the abilities to control some media-actions outside of the iOS system (Spotify is unmatched in my opinion in that regard). Or maybe the cooperate dust from their attack on Apple has not settled yet, who knows.

Maybe the next wave of holiday presentees pilgrimage to this thread has more luck,...

LucaAmerio

To me it looks more likely that since Apple does not allow them to manage subscriptions from within the app without taking a fee (summarizing here...), they retaliate refusing to make their software available on Apple other product. To me, this sounds like a lose-lose strategy, where Spotify loses customers and Apple lose a much wanted functionality and possible customers as well.

Two children throwing mud at each other are wiser...

homepoduseronsp0tify

that's not suitable to this theme... 

Mrbumps

With now 5544 likes, there is no reason why this has not moved from a Live idea to under construction. We are all being played for fools here.

Taken from the Spotify website here

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas that have gathered enough votes. It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea: 

Good Suggestion

Your idea has reached the first threshold - it has more than 50 +Votes in under 3 months. 

Live Idea 

Ideas that have gathered 180 +Votes in under 6 months get this status and they are brought to the attention of the Spotify team.
Bonus: We’ll also be looking at ideas that might have been closed initially due to not enough votes but eventually have reached 500 +Votes in under 18 months.

Under Consideration

This feature is coming. We have a rough timeline for a release.

After this stage there are usually 2 possible outcomes:

Implemented

This feature has rolled out. Yay!

Case Closed

We talked about this internally but it’s not on our timeline right now. That doesn't mean it never will be. 

CakeMixCore

Oh, I did not know that there are other stages, but that settles it right there. If this idea has not moved in the last two years to the "Under Consideration" it is not gonna happen. And keeping this idea-post up is just to keep the backlash from the news-media.

TheListeningGuy

Spotify is pathetic and ignorant for not implementing this support. It only benefits them to support devices that their service can be used on, and yet they refuse to do something as simple as this for their customers.  I'm sure they have the code sitting around that they could push live at any moment, and even if they didn't, implementation would be something that their engineers could likely accomplish in a day.  This is just another thing alongside not having a 64-bit windows client that Spotify will never implement, but will act like they are listening to feedback and will pass the information on, just to keep people stringing along.  It's absolute garbage customer service, and backwards thinking for them to withhold features like this.

People are leaving, and they absolutely should. Spotify doesn't want them, they continue to prove that.