Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Elmer2670

Now that apple gives 6 months free away with the purchase of a HomePod 2, I am seriously thinking about changing music provider.

euerhoheit

just do it! 

Can't be that hard to implement it.

The_Orange_Frog

Just for the record – Spotify are avoiding doing this because they’ve got a grudge against Apple and they don’t want to do it, not because it’s hard to do it in any way. 

The only way to make them is to cancel your subscription, state the reason you’re cancelling, and go elsewhere. If enough people do that and Spotify suddenly decides that it’s worth implementing HomePod support, then you can always come back. 

And if they don’t, well… Enjoy Apple Music! 🙂

Full_Speed

Any update on this? 6200 votes and you're ignoring it?

MrJeremy

Come on Spotify. Please get this going.

guywithknife

Been a paying Spotify customer for 6 or more years but for better or worse in bought into the Apple ecosystem and have just started getting into smart devices, so I have a HomePod but no Spotify support means I’ll probably jump ship because while I love Spotify, not playing nice with the rest of my setup is a deal breaker.

DenalB

+1 from my side

Spotify, please implement native support on HomePods!

kmorris

It's ridiculous Spotify is specifically harming it's own users due to spat with Apple. The API is there, implement it! Otherwise I'll have to start thinking about voting with my money elsewhere that implements Homepod support.

jmantheitguy

Come on Spotify. Just implement it already. I’m contemplating switching to Apple Music for literally this sole purpose. 

Bunions

Another person here that would like to control Spotify on my homepod. Does anyone know if anyone at Spotify has replied after the initial response on the first page?