Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
ENOX

Oh really? That's the one of the two things holding me back 😄 Well, air is getting thinner Spotify

Mjtim

With HomeKit getting more and more popular this will backfire to spotify

tryingtothink

I saw this article, I don't subscribe so don't know much content.

I emailed this to the journalist.

I do wonder why no-one in the media that I know of will pick up on it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-20/spotify-plans-new-premium-tier-expected-to-includ...

Dear Ashley Carman,

I wonder if there might be an article in this thread for you.

I feel I should say that every single journalist and newspaper and magazine I have mentioned it to has not picked up on it, so maybe it is a poisoned chalice.

Spotify pressed for access, Apple opened up access and almost three ears later and nearly 6 1/2 K votes and nothing.

Yours faithfully
Ragama

I quit from Spotify Premium since it doesn't work well on homepod. I have all the house connected with homepod so I move to Apple Music paying 16,99€ per month.

I prefer Spotify but hardware rules in this case.

Please Spotify, connect your API!!

martin_olsansky

Also considering switching to Apple Music…

Mjtim
I just got the free trial for three months. So soon it’s going to be bye bye Spotify
Skello

Come on Spotify, been on your platform 9 years.  

Getting a pair of HomePod 2 now, and it comes with a 6 month free trial to Apple Music.  Not being able to stream natively from the HomePod is going to be a deal breaker, please add this functionality.

Mjtim
👍
oliv3340

Hi,

It could be great to have update about this feature request.

During my research on this topic, I've seen a quote about someone at Spotify saying that "not enough people seams to be interesting in this feature"... With more than 6k likes... So please answer us, are you gonna implement it or not  ? And when, before or after 2024.  Because if you don't, honestly, I cancel my subscription... This is not hard to implement.

Thanks.

tryingtothink
Yes, apparently we have to tweet it or something. The Spotify forum doesn't
count in the eyes of Spotify's management and owners. I hadn't noticed
anywhere on Spotify saying that for an idea to count it needs posting
somewhere other than the ideas forum,