Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Marrekk

As I'm thinking right now, canceling the subscription wasn't a good idea because if Spotify manages to make Spotify native and it would work as a "standalone player" then again the continuity of switching from phone to mac to homepod to iPhone would again be top-notch on Spotify and song would still play in one seamless line ... unless apple somehow rebuilds the whole "Music ecosystem" and handoff will be better there.

tryingtothink
Except, it is possible. There is a Voice assistant section in settings and
Pandora has done it.

btz1

I'm sad switching.

Apple Music:
- Does not allow you to organize official playlists into folders.
- It is also not possible to sort or filter the songs in a playlist.

However, Spotify:
- Abandons several playlists with millions of followers and simply stops being updated.
- The Podcasts suggestions are useless (for me).
- And when you have more than one HomePod, you can't have rooms playing different songs.

chris_tian
Just activated Apple Music finally and I really like and enjoy it!

Fu<k off Daniel Ek.
Lego21397

It really saddens me as a customer for 10 years on Spotify to see that a feature like this isn’t supported, you didn’t even support Apple Watch and Apple TV that well and now you lack a feature that should’ve been worked on since the get go of the announcement of third party service integrations. Spotify is a tech company like many others, while it is apparent that apple would love you to switch to AW IT DOESNT EXCUSE SPOTIFY for the poor PR for the slow rollout of different features. 
i shouldn’t have to airplay to my HomePod to play music, it isn’t even airplay 2.

Sonnenkind

Make HomePod part of the Spotify Anywhere universe. Add a „skill“ to Siri so that Spotify can be directly accessed from HomePod using voice commands. Add Airplay 2 support to all platforms to improve output quality and responsiveness to commands.  Add support pages for HomePod on your website.  

Let's be honest, Spotify doesn't care (doesn't give a f** lets be clear) about customers, features, etc. They just doing their own thing according to their plans and not according to user requests and this forum in particular.

Plus, now i am sure about this at 100% that Spotify is lazy and slow. What is funny, taking into account that yeah, bunch of years ago they were mogul in music streaming services, there were first one, but currently, there are plenty of services more interesting than this one. If they don't care that Apple Gave them key and showed a door to their home (ecosystem) and Spotify is still doesn't care, even despite that a LOT of cutomeres uses Apple devices and now simply cannot use Spotify service with new hot, very popular Apple device, so be it.

For long time i was teared between Apple Music and Spotify, but seems that Apple Music is even better now than Spotify, it have bigger music library, it have NATIVE support for their devices, recently Apple allowed Google's and Amazon's devices to support Apple Music too, plus you can purchase that Apple One sunbscription and in addition to Apple Music have Apple TV, iCloud Storage and probably something else, well, i think for apple device owner it's killer feature. I am going to test Apple Music, especially that they offer me 3-4 month for free, and i think that i'll stick with them. Tired from how Spotify doesn't **bleep** about their user base, treating them like "buy or go away". Lol, so be it, you are not the only one and not the best ether now.

At least with Apple i can simply call them, to Apple Support and resolve any issues i have, what we have with Spotify? Only this crappy forum which is ignored by staff at all 😄

I'll use Spotify only as a free tier worked via browser with AdBlocker, so free music without advertisement.

And i agree with comment that was posted earlier, all of this steals your time, energy and fun, i am living not for that, and i am paying not for "waiting ages", especially in situations, that there was plenty of time to implement this functionality. Probably Apple will be happier with my money more than Spotify 🙂

kleversmart1

I want this implementation!

NickF_

Airplay is an Apple standard that allows streaming audio/video to different platforms like speakers and TVs from Apple devices.  I believe that currently, the iOS app and macOS app of the Spotify client do not support the second version of Airplay which is what the above idea is referring to.

However, my idea is solely focused on supporting Spotify on the HomePod WITHOUT having to use Airplay to connect to the speaker (i.e. natively).  This means that one could simply ask Siri on the HomePod to play music from Spotify instead of having to go to my iPhone and manually select the HomePod speaker under "AirPlay or Bluetooth".  Additionally, this should allow the HomePods to show up under the "Select a device" menu withouthaving to go through the AirPlay menu. 

Essentially, I think (although I am not sure) this means that the HomePod would be a new device added to this category of supported wireless speakers: https://spotify-everywhere.com/collections/wireless-speakers

like google has that you can say to your homepod 'hey siri play my liked songs on spotify' unlike now i have to stream!? it to my homepod