Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
speedmeup

I expect they’re in some kind of dispute/negotiation with Apple. Maybe the API discloses content data to Apple for analysis and Spotify doesn’t want to share data about who listens to what on their service? I expect Apple are quite prescriptive about implementation details and inflexible but Spotify seems to worked through it for Apple Watch (although is there cellular streaming direct to Apple Watch yet?) Regardless, Spotify hasn’t launched its own product to compete with HomePod so they need to be compatible with it if lose market share. Perhaps they’re happy with the latter

ryanc3

This thread is blowing my mind.  As a Homepod owner & Spotify fan, I have been waiting for ages for Spotify to add native Homepod support.  I've been waiting patiently since the October news to hear about the imminent release of this functionality. To find a thread like this, ignored by Spotify staff and with alleged censoring, is extremely disheartening.

I am also a Spotify investor.  If Spotify ignores thousands of would be subscribers due to a feud with Apple, isn't that a breach of fiduciary duty?  This thread is making me rethink my investment.

Would really like to hear answers from Spotify on this.

tryingtothink
'Blows my mind' sums this up brilliantly. Yet no media interest at all so
far as I can determine. That blows my mind too.
ryanc3

Crazy.  Maybe someone will bring legal action and it'll get some attention.

BristolMusic

Some kind of lawsuit would definitely be welcome. I know they're not unique in this, but the people that run this organisation basically earn their (disproportionately high) wealth unethically.

Treating their customers like idiots here is just one aspect of that.

Worth asking is having 'the best' UI on your streaming app really worth propping that up? Any streaming app is still a great step up from having to go to the lounge and load a CD up and I'm grateful for that. It's easy to take technology for granted.

ZJack

ryanc3, did you edit your post after I saw it last night? I assume so. Perhaps the messages we thought were being censored are just people deleting their comments...

"Hi ZJack,

ryanc3 (Visitor) posted a new comment in Live Ideas on 2021-02-07 09:35 PM:

Re: [iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support 

Not meant to be a threat, but maybe a class-action lawsuit would get attention?

Reply  | Give Kudos "

ZJack

Also, ryanc3 and tryingtothink, I've been back through my email notifications to try to figure out where the censored messages were and I found a single removed comment:

"t8vz0zlbUG (Visitor) posted a new comment in Live Ideas on 2021-02-01 08:28 PM"

I won't copy the contents of his message in case it gets me banned. However according to the message, it sounds like he attached a screenshot showing that he had signed up to Apple Music (or perhaps that he had cancelled Spotify, it's hard to tell). He raves about the other music services. He then comments on having just bought a HomePod mini and likes it. Finally he goes on to complain about Spotify's ignoring of ideas on this community forum.

There are some cusses throughout that had been self-censored with asterisks or where he simply wrote "bleep", so perhaps this is the reason for the removal?

It seemed worthwhile to get to the bottom of the allegations of censorship. Hope this is helpful...

jyced

do it

illmusic

They just keep ignoring this thread.

A friend of mine own the original HomePod, and has been waiting for the support for ages.

No a while a go, I've got the HomePod mini, and not having the ability to say "Play music via Spotify" sucks.

It makes all sense in the world to get an Apple Music or Pandora subscription at the end of the day.

So, I'll give Spotify some months to give at least a reply on this thread.

If they will keep ignoring - I'm done with it.

Hello there,

a lot of factional angry users in this thread. 

Just wanted to say I’m looking forward to this feature and I think it would be a great addition!

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/10854/