Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
unknownuser44

@abricko

after reading this yesterday i canceled spotify and subscribed directly AM.

lllmp

Spotify, if Pandora, who competes with Apple, can play nice ball and work with HomePod, so can you. The only reason I still use Spotify Premium is because a friend includes me on their plan. If I had my rathers, I'd subscribe to Apple Music, which, along with HomePod speakers, is ALSO compatible with Amazon Alexa AND Google Assistant-enabled speakers. If Apple and Google can be compatible with each other, I think you guys can make Spotify on HomePod work. I'm getting sick of walking into different rooms and being able to ask Alexa to play music but then go into a room with a HomePod and have to whip out my iPhone just to play music on a SMART speaker, which should be able to do so on its own.

lllmp

Oh, and no one gives a krap that you two are taking each other to court. You can (wrongfully, imo) sue Apple for running their company as is their prerogative, but you big companies like to lie to us and tell us that you do this all for us to have more fairness. You're just a big company being extremely petty. If you truly care about the users and our experience, stop suing Apple for an issue that most people never had a problem with and give us what we've been requesting for like a year now. 

Thank you.

mikeru22

Thought this was coming with iOS 14.5…Spotify is about to lose my business for not implementing this basic functionality. 

Tom_H

Sayonara Spotify - Too long have you ignored your iOS customer base and now a price increase. It is goodbye from me

tryingtothink
I can't find an email address for Chris Smith who wrote this article. Is
there anyone following this thread who could direct him to this thread and
highlight Spotify's behaviour?
mariannebea

Can someone at Spotify please provide you user base, your ‘community’ with an update on this thread? Your silence is embarrassing. I have put a lot of effort into your service and it will be a shame to have to leave. Please be honest with us and tell us why you refuse to write this tiny bit of code into your app? 👍

RobLar85

I think the total lack of information and answers from spotify's side is worse than no homepod support. Talk about not caring about your customers. If for some reason it can not be solved, say it outright. We deserve it.

For me, the apple one subscription is quite attractive. I already pay for icloud. Spotify recently raised the price. If you combine these 2, it starts to approach the cost of apple one. Say what you will about TV plus and apple arcade. But the value increases when they do not cost that much.

Spotify will launch lossless this year. Saw that someone has found code for lossless in a beta release from apple. Just speculation so far. But apple might strike back with something similar to spotifys lossless-thing.

Maybe Spotify can take money that they do not pay to the artists and put it on customer service instead?

lllmp

mikeru22, it came to iOS and iPadOS, but not iOS on HomePod. Apple did add a feature where you can now choose a default preferred music service, however, Spotify has not played nice and made it happen. Pandora does support being a default music service on HomePod. Spotify needs to stop kraping around. 

christofw

I switched to Apple Music while still keeping a Spotify account at hand, but this article from Gizmodo pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger on Spotify: https://gizmodo.com/musicians-ask-spotify-to-promise-itll-never-use-its-cre-1846823558 

christofw_0-1620194279270.png