Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Y_no_HomePod

@ wrote:

Details

I've had enough of the silence on this simple feature request that should have been launched years ago. It's not that complicated to write a tiny bit of code to talk to the existing Spotify APIs.

I think we need to stop unsubscribing in a steady but small stream of users over this issue. It's too easy for Spotify to put their head in the sand, they probably do not investigate the causes of customer churn or have internally come to some BS rationalisation that they can hide this from their Shareholders and Board.

We need to send a more direct message and all cancel on the same day for this company to take notice.

Given the HomePod integration should not take more than a week to implement for a single developer, I propose we give them 7 days from today. Let's make July 27th Cancel Spotify Day if the HomePod integration is not available.

I will also encourage all my family members to cancel on the same day and assist them moving playlists to Apple Music.

Our custom is in your hands Spotify.

#CancelSpotifyDay

After 88 pages of comments, I think lets keep the focus on #CancelSpotifyDay for July 27th.

If we all cancel on the same day it will be clear to management it is because of their absence of respect towards customers making a sensible feature request.

Lots of separate 1 person cancellations on different dates will not cause anyone to sit up and notice. It is lost in the noise.

#CancelSpotifyDay

abricko

They sure do have their fingers on the pulse of what we're all asking for:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/07/22/spotify-giphy-partnership/

What a stupid company!

Y_no_HomePod

The crazy thing is Spotify have actually built the "Sirikit Media Intent" that is the largest piece of work necessary.

i.e. All this stuff already works on iPhone & iPad when you ask Siri to "play whatever on Spotify":

siri-media-commands-100798752-orig

All they need to do is Integrate their "SiriKit Media Intents with HomePod" as described here:
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/10854

Which just involves nothing more than creating a small bit of metadata to make the Spotify app appear in the Home app, and add the code to the Spotify app to handle the authentication request from the Home app!

Spotify can then be set as the default music service for HomePod in the Home app - this is not just a temporary default like you get on iPhone & iPads with the "play on Spotify" request either, HomePod will then use Spotify for all music requests 100% of the time if Spotify do this. Spotify can even add a link to their iOS app to set their service as default in Home.

I suspect if they implemented this, they would be in a better position to ask for that "default Music service in the Home app" to be respected across all Apple devices under that iCloud ID. At this point, i'm not convinced they actually want what is best for consumers, they just want to have a fight with Apple.

#CancelSpotifyDay

Atomic_Al
Wow, thanks for this technical point!

#CancelSpotifyDay
mrsky

I recommend that users post not only here but on social media as well, with tags (@Spotify, @SpotifyCares, etc.) to get as much visibility as possible. 

Lego21397

#cancelspotify

Shnowtzer

Unfortunately I have to switch to apple music, too. Love my HomePod but it isn‘t much fun without music. Sorry Spotify but you **bleep** up. #cancelspotify

eua

#cancelspotify

btz1

#cancelspotify

RobLar85

#cancelspotify