Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
derferico

Started for me, with exact same symptoms about 2 weeks ago. Using the same headphones (SONY XM3) for more than year now and don't think it has anything to do with the bluetooth connection. 

Symptom does not replicate on phone / CarPlay.

This is becoming very frustrating. Paying quite a lot for a family /premium subscription, don't see why I should restart the application  every time I need to pause the music!

shvvffle

I've realized that this happens mostly if I'm listening with any Bluetooth audio.
If I'm with wireless headphones, airpods etc, pause the music OR start playing a youtube video/whatsapp audio, I go back to spotify and I can't listen to anything anymore, I always have to restart it. It's a pain.

caluz78
I solved using right mouse button on the spotify icon on the dock (right mouse, pause, right mouse, play).
If using this spotify resumes always paused music.
Let me know if this works also for you (macbook pro early 2015)
bobrosoft
Yes, happening for me as well and yes I'm using Bluetooth computer speakers.
LiquidN2

Same problem here on Mac OS 10.15.4 (and before) using Sony WH-1000MX3 headphones.

iNano

Same problem here. I'm on Desktop v1.1.31.703.g256add22, macOS v10.15.4 using Sony MDR-XB950N1 headphones.

flyingbearmt1
same here, using MacBook 2014mid 10.14.5 and Spotify version 1.1.31.703.g256add22.
I tried using bose QC-35 and airpods 2, the symptom stays still. It is pretty annoying.Lol... Hope they can find what is going on there soon
aclopes75

Yes, the same happens to me, I'm using Bluetooth Sony WH-1000XM3 and I pause, to answer a call or to see another media, I received that message and I need to restart the app.

Is there any answer to that? It's happening a long time, maybe I didn't search enough

bobrosoft

No, that bug is there for a year, maybe even more 😞

8_i6z45-bnm8j
Yeah this is a pretty new thread about it, i've seen older ones about the same problem. hopefully the more people we get to contribute maybe Spotify will notice. I think just using the web app used to fix this problem but the desktop app is so much better so i would prefer if they fixed it or someone found a way to get it to work.