Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac Desktop] Can't Play Current Song Error Message

Plan: Premium for Students

I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6. For about the past month I have been getting an error message when trying to play Spotify on my laptop. I will play a song and it will play the entire song except for the last two seconds. At that point it'll stop and I get an error message saying "Can't play current song." It will not progress to the next song until I hit the next button and then the whole thing will repeat. If I hit pause/play, nothing happens. The Spotify app on my phone is working totally fine.

I have tried restarting the application, logging out, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling. Also, off of other suggestions, I have tried turning off autoplay and crossfading songs. I have tried looking for the Spotify cache history and haven't been able to find any (but that also might just be above my computer skills). 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us and providing all the relevant info. 

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this, however, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix.

In the meantime, here are a few things you can try if you're experiencing this issue:

• Check out the solutions in this FAQ.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • If possible, try connecting your desktop to the internet via a mobile hotspot. Should the app work through it, consult with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop, corporate network) get in touch with the administrator for more help.

We'd also recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest app and firmware versions available, so you don't miss any improvements coming your way.

Comments
rudisimon

I've had the exact problem described here recently. The Spotify app is unable to play music most of the time on my Mac, although it occasionally works. It's not the connection because the app works fine on my phone, and it's not ad blockers. Software update recently recommended I install a security update to Catalina, so that may be a factor. Could there be some sort of macOS permissions thing happening?

It's really frustrating because I essentially can no longer use Spotify on my Mac, it no longer works. This is a pretty serious problem for a streaming service! Hopefully Spotify support can recommend a fix? I tried changing the hosts file and that didn't work.

Yavva

Hi, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a comment or fix from Spotify. It’s an open issue for more than a year. It doesn’t seem to be very high on their priority list.

I’m considering to cancel my Spotify. But I’d rather not. Their iOS app is ok, their pricing is ok, support from 3rd parties is excellent. But their “native” Mac app sucks.

Frappergandy

Ok Spotify, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS ISSUE? I am constantly havings songs stop playing and getting this 'can't play current song' error. It literally happened as I am typing this sentence. 

This is such a poor user experience and is killing my desire to use this app. It's been 2 years since you commented on this topic and I can't believe this is still happenning.

I have tried uninstalling, signing out everywhere, clean uninstall, clearing cache etc. etc. and still it persists.

Please respond and help us fix this issue. I'm ready to move to apple music.

System:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c

rubs

Thank you, but this problem is very much present in the latest releases of the Spotify app. As per your suggestion, I reinstalled everything. At first it seemed to work, but the problem showed up again. This is indeed a bug that need correction. I hope the dev guys are aware of it.