Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ongoing performance issues on iOS devices - app being slow/crashing within a few minutes of playback

Hey folks,

We had received reports that some of you were experiencing technical issues on your iOS devices (running version 8.8.72.623 or higher). The app was crashing or the playback was suddenly stopping.

The issue was fixed but it seems it has resurfaced shortly after. 

It is currently being investigated.

Hey folks!

Our tech folks backstage have confirmed that the initial issues, which were the reasons for this OI thread have been resolved. Seeing that most of you have stopped commenting - this seems to be confirming the case.

For anyone experiencing any further iOS issues, even if they are similar to the abovementioned, we'd like to ask you to go over the following steps:

• Clear your app's cached data;
  • See if a complete clean reinstall of the app would make a difference;
  • Check if the issue would be present when you log in with a different account; a new free account for testing purposes can be used for this;
  • If the issue is present with both accounts, you can try a different iOS device, as this could be device-related;
  • Gather your findings and create a new post about your issue in this board here, making sure you add your device's model, its OS version and your Spotify app version

Many thanks!

P.S. If you've created a new account and you wish to transfer your music - this FAQ might be of help 🙂 

Comments
Jonowalker

Hello, 

I have again cleared my app and done a full app delete/phone off/reinstall 

issue still happening. Still cannot use Spotify offline and still no contact from them. 

it’s very poor

Vasil

Hey folks!

Thank you for the patience you've shown while we investigated this.
We've made some more changes backstage with the hopes of addressing the root cause of these performance issues.

If you're still experiencing any of them after 8.9.20. - remove your cached data and, if this doesn't help, go one step further and remove all Spotify-related data from the device. Install Spotify anew after this, according to the steps in the article, and check how the app behaves.

Should you still be experiencing glitches after this, let us know the following details: 

• Your device's model
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version
  • The issue type (e.g. app being slow; crashing etc.)
  • The date & time (+ time zone) of when it has occurred 

We'll be on the lookout.

Jonowalker

Hello Vasil, 

I have followed the instruction again- cleared my cache- no improvement. 
Deleted app again- turned off phone- re installed app- issue still remains. 

I am still unable to listen to Spotify off line 

I still haven’t received a reply to my request to raise a complaint through Spotify cares

i still haven’t received a reply to my request to raise complaint through email 

Device model- Apple IPhone 11

IOS 17.3.1

Spotify version- 8.9.19.571

App crashes when trying to play downloaded music. Sometimes tells me downloaded songs are not downloaded. Sometimes just stops working- despite play button showing active 

Has been occurring for last couple of months- but most recently today- 8/3/24 at 1215 uk time

Munashe65

Please can they also fix the Apple watch application 

Jessewallick

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

I am experiencing an issue where the Spotify app is crashing or the playback suddenly stops on my iOS device. This seems to be a common problem with devices running version 8.8.72.623 or higher.

Swiftgrizz

I’m having an issue for several weeks now where the app would crash whenever I lock the screen or whenever it’s in the background. I’ve updated the app/updated my phone, did a clean reinstall and removed all Spotify related data on my phone but the issue is still consistently happening 

• Your device's model - iphone 13
  • Its OS version - 17.3.1
  • Your Spotify app version 8.9.19.571
  • The issue type (e.g. app being slow; crashing etc.) - Crashing when phone is locked or when I’m in another app
  • The time (+ time zone) when it has occurred - last occurred 2-3 pm eastern time zone
Kardi
On my ipad, very often after returning to the app, to start a song, I'm unable to play music. I can navigate between songs and playlists, but songs will not start playing, time indicators (play time + song length) just shows -:--

Force closing the app and restarting, I can play music again until it happens again. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, sometimes multiple times per day other times days betwen.
Mich40

Playback crashes every 10-30 seconds.

Iphone XS, IOS ver. 17.3.1

20GB free storage

Removed cache and all Spotify data. Clean re-install

Spotify ver. 8.9.19.571. 

Continuos problem for at least 3 months. At latest today march 16, 2024, 2pM, GMT+1.

Please respond. For now frustrating and not usable. 

mosis

Things I have tried: clean install, logging out and logging back in, turning off background refresh

Things I have not tried: turning off battery saver

• Your device's model
    • iPhone 14 Pro Max
    • iPad Air 4th Gen
  • Its OS version
    • iOS 17.4
    • iPadOS 17.3.1
  • Your Spotify app version
  • The issue type 
    • Playback continues to crash after 30-40 seconds of play time regardless of whether it is connected to bluetooth, a wired connection to my vehicle or by itself, issue occurs on both devices that are logged into my account. 
  • The date & time (+ time zone) of when it has occurred 
    • Began on 3-16-24 at 11:30 AM MST and has continued through today.
Spotify on IOS as of 3/19/24 is incredibly slow, and has consistent issues with adding songs to playlists, causing app crashes