Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Performance issues on iOS devices

Hey folks,

We've received reports that iOS users are experiencing technical issues on their devices (running version 8.8.72.623 or higher). The app is crashing or the playback suddenly stops.

This is being investigated.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should be fixed in version 8.8.81.573. If you don't see a pending update, you can manually update from Spotify's App Store page.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

For anyone still experiencing this issue - please refer to the new thread over here.
We'll keep you posted!

Comments
darrenlewis

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPad Pro 12.9 (1st Generation)

Operating System

iPadOS 16.7

My Question or Issue

Spotify stops playing after a few minutes or a few songs or an hour since update iPadOS 16.7. The now playing album cover goes blank and shows 3 dots. Spotify app updated yesterday. I've restarted the iPad. Anyone else with this issue? Have to kill the app and restart to get anything to play again. 

burrowingowlvegan

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Ipad 

Operating System

IOS 17

My Question or Issue

The app keeps crashing. It doesn't matter if it is in the background or if it is open. A few songs will play and then it will just stop playing music and I have to fully reset the app the get it to work. It has been going on for about a week or so.

JayScott1

i’m encountering the same problem.

i spoke with spotify support chat and they kept trying to get me to recreate the problem under different circumstances, but i didn’t know at the time skipping also causes it just that it happened to me randomly a bunch of times through the day. 

ultimately support was no help, but they tried. i’m thinking about moving to apple music for a while, 3 month free trial, and seeing if this gets fixed in the meantime. 

i tried streaming my purchased apple library at work today after this issue persisted on spotify and encountered no issues with apple music. 

you know how spotify has to be open and device has to be unlocked in order to download music? i think since whatever update, iOS is mistaking spotify playback as a background thing to stop when your device is locked or something. 

dj_vj

Switching to Apple music is most definitely not an option for me or many of us, since all of our songs are saved on Spotify.

It's most definitely not an iOS issue, because then it would affect all Apple devices running the latest version of iOS. There's something in the back end Spotify code that is causing it to malfunction on iPods and older Apple devices, so I think we need an experienced Spotify software engineer to recreate the problem on an iPod 7th gen or older iPhone (6 or 7) with the latest iOS version and debug from there.

gt34

Updated to Spotify 8.8.74.707

mixed outcomes. 

when the screen is locked, and I let Spotify just play, without any intervention from my end , it seems ok. But not always. 

when screen is not locked and I start operating Spotify, skipping numbers,  it gets stuck.

Tosheto77

Hi @spotify, same problem here, Ipad pro 2017, app updated yesterday IOS updated couple days ago. I have noticed when the app stops, so there is no sound through the speakers, seems like its still playing the little bar things are still moving. Also I can pause it and play again but no sound. After restart the app, just hit the play button to start from where stops without choosing playlist or song, it does start normally with sound but couple songs back before it stopped. Just a hint to see where is the problem, maybe something with the buffering or some new apple restrictions with the new update. 

GeegAlso1

We have had this issue and it started a couple of weeks ago. We play music to sleep to overnight. It starts playing but at some point, 30 mins or more after it starts it stops playing the sound. The app shows it is still playing but the sound stops. When I force close and restart the app it plays again but it won’t play on repeat and that defeats the purpose of playing music while I sleep. I have tried all steps in this thread; cleared cache, fully erased and reinstalled the app after doing a soft reinstall, restarted the devices, had the problem on both my iPhone and iPad. I have premium and and I am really disappointed in this issue as it goes off while I sleep. 

gt34

That it works when screen is locked, is not true. 

Spotify stalls then as well. 

tombalas

Same issues on both an old iPhone and a fairly new iPad - the problem appears to be with the IOS operating system.  If you skip a few songs, it freezes you into whatever is then playing, and the controls stop working.  I suspect this is because Spotify loaded up the app with all sorts of extraneous stuff like DJ and enhanced playlists and the software just cannot handle it.

Jayb83

Mine is doing this also, I have a 7th Gen iPod touch 2020, I only use it in the car as its the only thing compatible with its operating system. I can skip a few songs then it will just jam, bring up the next songs artwork but wont skip, then will completely jam and also doing the same thing with the 3dots. My phone which is a Samsung S10 FE is working perfectly, I only ever seem to have trouble with my iPod touch, its incredibly frustrating!