Free

Country

United States

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 13.6.1, Google Maps 5.50.2, Spotify 8.5.70.950

My Question or Issue

I have Google Maps and Spotify connected, to listen to podcasts while driving. While navigating, Spotify controls appear at the bottom of the Google Maps screen and work as intended. However, during the first voice navigation guidance, Spotify is paused, then resumes, but the music playback controls downgrade to a “Continue playing” button instead. After the second voice navigation guidance, Spotify stops and does not resume, while the controls remain "Continue playing". I have to physically hit "Continue playing" to resume the podcast, which is unsafe and not ideal.

1. The Spotify controls should not downgrade to "Continue playing" after the first voice navigation guidance.

2. Spotify should automatically resume playing the podcast after the second voice navigation guidance.

For some inexplicable reason, this does not happen with Apple's Podcast app, which auto-resumes after every voice navigation guidance.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

In the meantime, as a workaround, we'd suggest that users do the following when playing podcasts:

1. Disconnect from Google Maps
  2. Start playback natively from the app
  3. Enable Car mode from the app's settings

Thanks again!

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

We’re receiving reports that Podcast playback is interrupted and paused when Google Maps navigation speaks.

First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, could you provide us with the following info:

• device + OS version
  • exact Spotify version
  • exact Google Maps version
  • Does this happen only when listening to Podcasts
  • Does this happen when you've integrated Spotify into Google Maps

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

Frogular

For clarity, and to fit the requested info template:

Problem continues to occurs after a clean reinstall
iPhone X with iOS 14.1
Spotify 8.5.81.1110
Google Maps 5.55.3

Problem only happens when listening to podcasts; no problem when listening to music

Happens when Spotify is integrated into Google Maps

Dex8

I have the same issue which basically makes Spotify podcasts unusable. 

Peter
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

In the meantime, as a workaround, we'd suggest that users do the following when playing podcasts:

1. Disconnect from Google Maps
  2. Start playback natively from the app
  3. Enable Car mode from the app's settings

Thanks again!

I would just like to note that the same issue applies to Apple Maps.  

Thanks

This workaround doesn't work...around.

Is this a global issue?

I'm running latest iOS on iPhone 12

cneth6

Having the same issue here, started yesterday and can't fix it.  This occurs with Waze for me though, I don't use google maps.

Anytime Waze interrupts & pauses my podcast on Spotify it does not resume the podcast. Stupidly frustrating, may have to switch to another app if they don't take this seriously.

Jasonkovach

The work around doesn’t work and this continues to be an issue. Please fix this problem! 

A1anyo

A method I have found on my iPhone which seems to help and reduce the frequency of playback stopping altogether is to actually set Apple Music as the option for music playback controls in Google maps’ settings. I then press play on the podcast natively in the spotify app. It means I can’t control playback (I.e play/pause) but it continues playing after navigation interruptions

agkenner

This just started happening to me this week (September 2021). Spotify always politely dimmed when Google Lady spoke, then resumed playing afterward. Now, Spotify shuts off completely, and I have to click a button to get it started again. It's very annoying. Is anyone still looking into this?