Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keeps Freezing

Keeps Freezing

I've never come across a problem like this elsewhere on my Mac but Spotify is constantly freezing for seconds every two minutes. This has been going on for the last several versions if I'm not wrong.

22 Replies

Hey @aysyilmz, welcome to the Spotify Community!

To start, can you let us know the make and model of the device, operating system, and version of Spotify you're using?

Also, we'd like to get some more detailed info about what's going on. When Spotify Freezes, it's just for a few seconds and it continues to play, or do you have to close it in order to have it to work again?

Does this happen while playing an Specific album/playlist or is it random?

Keep us posted.

JulianModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I have a Macbook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) with macOS High Sierra and I'm using the latest version of Spotify. The freezes were lasting 30-40 seconds and reappearing after a minute or so. They neither stopped the music from playing nor made me restart the app but they were frequent and they prevented me from using the app decently. The app was freezing whether I was listening to music or not. Today I reinstalled the app and it seems to be okay at the moment. Will let you know if I face the problem again.

Hey @aysyilmz!

We're glad to hear it's working fine after the reinstallation.

In case the issue comes back, try turning off Hardware Acceleration under the Spotify Settings, and let us know if it makes any difference.

We'll keep an eye out for any updates.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Hello, I started facing the same problem again but I don't see "hardware acceleration" on my settings.

Thanks for keeping us updated,

Just to check, do you use any firewalls or antivirus that may be blocking Spotify? If possible, try checking for any unusual processor usage on your device.

We'll see what else to suggest.

Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I had an antivirus program but I recently deleted it. I also use my Mac's own firewall, would that create a problem?

Hey @aysyilmz!

Hardware acceleration should be at the very bottom of the Advanced Settings. Click the arrow next to your username > Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Compatibility, and turn off Hardware Acceleration there.

About the firewall, try making sure Spotify is set as an exeption to see if it helps.

Keep us posted.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.50.05.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.50.15.pngThis is how my advanced settings look like, I can't seem to find the option.

Thanks for the screenshot.

What Spotify version are you running? Also, have you noticed any decrease in performance or crashes when using other programs?

Lastly, when this happens, do you usually have a lot of other programs open? 

Let us know.

I should be using the latest version, I reinstalled it a few days ago because of the problem. None of my programs freeze or crash and I don't have any other programs open when it happens. 

Thanks for getting back to us with this information.

Just to confirm, is it only the Spotify app that's freezing or does the Macbook stops responding every few minutes?

Also, are you using your device's speakers, headphones, or other output when this happens?

Keep us in the loop.

It's only the Spotify app that's freezing. When I try to open and use other apps when it freezes, they work just fine. I use headphones. By the way, is there a reason why I can't see the "hardware acceleration" option?

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We'll need to know the exact version you're running. You can find your Spotify version by going to Help > About Spotify. 

Also, does the app crash at all if you control Spotify on your computer with Spotify Connect?

Let us know.

1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc this is it I think? 

Yes, I mean it crashes whenever I use it on my computer. When I'm controlling Spotify on my computer with my phone, it still crashes if I scroll or click on something on my computer but I can change the song through my phone.

Hey @aysyilmz!

Does the same happen if you use a different Spotify account? You can create a Free account to test this out or use the account of a friend or family member.

Keep us posted.

Hello, Spotify just went back to normal when I deleted all my songs. I now remember doing the same thing last month because of the same problem. I only had around 700-800 songs and it should have been even more if I hadn't deleted it all last month. Having no songs on my library seems to be temporarily fixing it but how do I solve this problem?

That's odd.

Just to confirm, are the songs you deleted part of your local files or songs from the Spotify catalog? You should be able to have up to 10.000 songs saved in Your Library without any inconvenience.

We'll see what we can suggest.

They were all from the Spotify catalog. I had already deleted my local files but it didn’t have an effect.

Got it @aysyilmz!

We can see that there's a new update for the Spotify app. Could you make sure to use the latest version (1.0.77) and check if the Hardware Acceleration option is available?

Also, keep in mind that the app is going to work perfectly even if you have a lot of saved songs. In the meantime, try to download some playlists and activate the Offline Mode in your app following these steps. 

Let us know if the app behaves the same way.

Suggested posts