Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Link each artists to each track on album release using DistroKid

Solved!

Link each artists to each track on album release using DistroKid

Am about to upload a single with 4 tracks. So the release has 4 tracks. Each track is a remix (yes I'm the original artist with permission from myself). I want each remixer/artist to be featured, on THEIR remix track.

In Distrokid can only specify artist name once for the release. So I cant do it the "one track per release" way, by using & (and it detects that it's a collab = adding the track to each artists artist profile). So I can't do this (also, you are only aloud to use 3 artists, so wouldn't work anyway). 

They have their information saying you can name it (feat. artist) and then [Artist Remix) in the title. But I really really suspect that the (feat.) will appear just like that in the title. And i really dont want that. I just want the title to be: "My Song (Artist Remix) and then have it connect to that artists profile/page. 

Again, bare in mind. I cannot add them by using artist name. As i wrote, not doable here. 

Seeing all remix EPs out there, with perfect titles and different artists connected to the different tracks (see screen shot!)... I know it's possible.

Anyone done this using Distrokid? or do you HAVE to beg them in advance to connect it manually to each artist profile?

Support gave me some sort of autoreply not really anwering my question. =( 

Skärmavbild 2019-12-27 kl. 23.32.21.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi! Thank you for your answer!

Just want to let people know (if anyone had the same question and finds this) that it worked out fine, it's out now and looks good. You are suppose to type exactly like this: Song Title - (Artist Remix) [feat Artist]

The feat will dissapear and just connect that artist to the song, it will show up as "appears on" on that artists profile... So it will not me the main artist for the song but a featured/remix-artist. 

While it looks great on Spotify, it looks bad on Instagram music (it got exactly this "raw" formating, so... but Spotify was most important anyway). 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @Ditzy_J,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

As you rightly guessed, you'd need to reach out to the songs distributor to make sure that:

a) the songs your release is composed of will be each associated with the Spotify Artist's profile you wish

b) the title of each song reflects the way you want it to look like 

That's the case since Spotify assigns songs to Artists' profiles and titles to songs depending on the related metadata provided by each song and artist's distributor.

To know more about what type of songs metadata Spotify deals with and how such processes work, take a look at this Spotify for Artists answer.

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll be here if we can help with anything else 🙂

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hi! Thank you for your answer!

Just want to let people know (if anyone had the same question and finds this) that it worked out fine, it's out now and looks good. You are suppose to type exactly like this: Song Title - (Artist Remix) [feat Artist]

The feat will dissapear and just connect that artist to the song, it will show up as "appears on" on that artists profile... So it will not me the main artist for the song but a featured/remix-artist. 

While it looks great on Spotify, it looks bad on Instagram music (it got exactly this "raw" formating, so... but Spotify was most important anyway). 

Hi Ditzy_J,

Can you confirm the following? Must there be a hyphen between SongTitle and the (ArtistName Remix) parenthetical?

• "SongTitle - (ArtistName Remix) [feat ArtistName]" VS
  • "SongTitle (ArtistName Remix) [feat ArtistName]"

Further, does there need to be a period after "[feat"?

• "SongTitle (ArtistName Remix) [feat. ArtistName]" VS
  • "SongTitle (ArtistName Remix) [feat ArtistName]"

And, can you technically put anything in the first parenthetical? Like the name of the mix version

• "SongTitle (8-bit Remix) [feat ArtistName]" or
  • "SongTitle (funky Remix) [feat ArtistName]"

Alternatively, could the parenthetical include a different ArtistName than the "[feat" ArtistName? If there's a new vocalists or collaboration by another artist who isn't necessarily the remixing artist:

• "SongTitle (RemixArtistName Remix) [feat RemixArtistName & CollaborativeArtistName"

I'm using DistroKid, and their instructions differ slightly from the Spotify response to you, so I'm trying to figure that all out here:

Looks like you may have a featured artist.
Did you format it correctly? Here's what stores require:

• Example with 1 featured artist: Under Pressure (feat. David Bowie)
  • Example with 2 featured artists: Shortie Like Mine (feat. Chris Brown & Johnta Austin)
  • Example with 3 featured artists: Sweetest Girl (feat. Akon, Lil Wayne & Niia)
  • Notice: Always feat. always lowercase, always in parentheses
  • Stores will reject titles that don't use this syntax

Looks like you may be using an explanatory reference.
Using words like: instrumental, radio edit, version, extended, demo, remix, etc.? Here's what stores require:

• Put the reference in parentheses at the end of the song title.
  • If you have multiple sets of parentheses, the first should be in parentheses and the rest should be in square brackets.
  • Example with 1 set of parentheses: The Best Of Times (Instrumental)
  • Example with 2 set of parentheses: The Best Of Times (feat. Mike McColgan) [Instrumental]
  • Example with 3 set of parentheses: The Best Of Times (feat. Mike McColgan) [Instrumental] [Demo]
  • Stores will automatically reject albums that don't use this syntax.

Thanks so much! I hope my questions are clear; perhaps you can link to your release, and also screenshot the exact way you formatted in your distribution portal (TuneCore, CDbaby, DistroKid, etc.). 

Hi! Do you know if it's necessary to write "(feat. Artist Name)" in the title? Or is the information between the [] enough? I just want the link to the other artist's profile, not the collaboration information in the title of the song. In my case is a feat., not a remix. Thanks!

I have the same question.

I just want it to be:

Title of My Song - Featured Artist

And it should appear in the "Appears On" section of my featured artist's page.

See example

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 1.42.37 PM.png

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community.

In this case we suggest you that you contact our artist support. You can find them here

If you have any questions we're always happy to help 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks, Jeremy, but if there was an answer  in the Artist Support section, we wouldn't be using this forum to discuss/crowdsource.

Suggested posts