Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tinder top artists are inaccurate

Tinder top artists are inaccurate

I have been trying to display my top artists from Spotify on Tinder for a while now, but everytime it displays almost the same artists, where very few actually represent my music taste. Is there someway i can make it so it will display my top artists correctly? Why cant i just choose them in the first place? Pretty frustrating.

32 Replies

Hey @GrimMoon,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

The Top Artists on your Tinder profile currently get determined automatically. They should however get updated every couple of weeks to reflect the most current status. If that's not the case it's a good idea to remove the access of Tinder to your Spotify account and then grant it again. This way the connection between the two accounts gets built anew. You can learn how to do this here.

If you think that other users would also like the feature to select which artists get displayed on their Tinder profile, you can post an idea about it. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It'd be wonderful if this actually worked, but it doesn't. Trust me.

However they get determined 'automatically', it needs sorting. Bumble accurately represents my top artist just fine, but for some reason Tinder thinks Taylor Swift is my top artist. She doesn't even break my top 20 on last.fm for the last 7, 30, 90, OR 180 days, and my ACTUAL top artist, You Me At Six who I've listened to way, way more than any other artist on all of those timeframes, doesn't show up at all in the list.

Hey there @Ecdysiast

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried the steps @Mihail suggested previously?

On another note, if you'd like to have the ability to sort/select the top artists that are shared with other apps, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

Yes I have tried these steps, but it never changes the top artists, neither does simply refreshing. It's not accurately reflected my top artists, nor my most played songs from the artists it does get right.

On the new desktop update it shows your top monthly artists on your profile, so it definitely knows who and what I listen to most, it just doesn't give that information to tinder accurately, but it does with bumble. Very strange.

Hi @Ecdysiast

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of both apps, as this could help remove any cache that could be causing trouble. You'll find the steps for Spotify here

If this doesn't do the trick, we'd recommend always keeping your apps up to date so that you don't miss out on any fix. 

We'll be here if anything else comes up. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi,

I've done this too and it hasn't fixed it. These are just the same 'fixes' you've been recommending for years at this point. Please just accept there's something wrong with the system and fix it like you said you were going to years ago.

Hey @Ecdysiast

Thanks for your reply. 

We understand where you're coming from. However, keep in mind that this issue is happening through a third party app, which we can't influence. 

We value your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, and will make sure to pass it on to the right folks. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This problem with Tinder has been going on for several years. People have been complaining about it for years. Spotify and/or Tinder could fix it easily. But there's nothing to fix. It's working just as it's supposed to. That way just happens to be extremely dumb.

It seems that Tinder uses your top 50 artists you've been listening to most  (during past 4 weeks or so).

And out of your real and accurate top 50, Tinder shows 20 most popular artists. So, your Tinder profile do NOT show your top 20. Tinder shows the twenty most popular artists out of your top 50. So if you've only been listening to 40 different artistist lately your #41-50 could be any artist you've been listening to for one minute (or none?).

For example: My Tinder profile's "top 20" has only seven artists from my real top 20. But they are all from my top 50.

When Nirvana entered my top50 at #49 I updated my Tinder profile's "top 20" and Nirvana also appeared there. When I had updated my Tinder top 20 an hour before Nirvana was not there (because it wasn't yet in my top50).

Your personal top 50 updates once a day.

Another example: I have listened to Chelsea Wolfe tracks about 1000 times during past 4 weeks. I have listened couple of tracks from Billie Ellish. Chelsea Wolfe is #1 on my top 50. Billie Ellish appeared at #42. Guess which one was on my Tinder "top 20"? Well, not Chelsea Wolfe, because she has only few million plays, while Billie Ellish has billions and she was the most popular artist on my personal top 50. Chelsea Wolfe doesn't fit into my "top 20", because there are 20+ more popular artists on my top 50.

(It seems like there's few exceptions... The artist who's anthem you have chosen might be in Tinder's list of artists you listen to most. My Tinder "top 20" is actually top 22, because there's also the artists who perform my chosen anthem. They are not in my top 50 and if they would be, they are not popular enough to be in my Tinder top 20.)

The funny part is: Tinder thinks it's doing us a favour. By showing the most popular artists you "like", you might get more likes and matches... but the obvious problem is that those matches are not necessarely with the people you share the same taste in music. I don't need 100+ matches. I only need few great ones. Or one. And I do not mean 'great' by any objective standards. I mean a great one for me.

Two questions:

I try to be respectful, but... Why on earth haven't Spotify employees told people how this works?!? They should have done it years ago! What's all this nonsense about uninstalling your app and clearing you cache etc.? People have been complaining about this for years. Why haven't you just told people how tinder+spotify algorithm works?!? [lot's of self-censored text here]

As a paying customer it should not be my job to do detective work to figure out how this works, when you could have just told your customers here on spotify community years ago, and we would have been like "oh, well that's dumb, but ok, if it's up to Tinder, what can you do. Good to know, thanks". But for some extremely strange reason, you have chosen to blabber about uninstalling your app and downloading it again, though you know it won't work.

If you claim that you did not know how this Tinder+Spotify thingie works... well, you've had at least five years to figure it out, because that's how long your customers have been complaining about it.

And another question: If your paying customers are displeased with it,  why don't you fix it?

Instead of '20 most popular artist out of your personal top 50' why won't you just make it 'your personal top 20'?

If Tinder uses Spotify users' top 50, do not give those out. Just give Tinder the top 20 of every user.

Problem solved.

But, at least... please, for now on, tell your customers how the algorithm works.

(Sorry about my English, but if I write in Finnish this would be much harder to understand, vai kuinka on?)

Thanks for your wonderful explanation - don't worry about your English though (it was well written, and definitely better than my Finnish).

But my god, that's such an incredibly dumb way to showcase your top artists. I suppose that makes sense now you've explained it, because Taylor Swift is my top tinder artist but not even in my top 20 actual artists. The funny thing is, I've listened to You Me At Six over 600 times in the last 30 days, and they don't even show up once in my top tinder artists. What a laughable system.

And for Spotify to not tell its community moderators to inform people how this works, instead telling them they should make their customers faff around doing pointless endeavours knowing it won't fix anything. Truth be told, I didn't do any of the steps I was asked to do, because I just knew they were garbage generic things Spotify will tell its community staff to go through. It's obviously not a synchronisation issue or something if it works perfectly fine on Bumble.

Looks like I should go join the mob getting on at Tinder for them having a top artist system so bad that a brick wall could probably implement it better. 

I just finished registration to upvote your answer. Ironically, it cannot be voted for best answer, just the pathetic excuses the paid employees feed us are eligible.

Do you have any idea how they select the song for the artist though? The only artist that appears for me is Björk, but they chose a song I don't like, and I can't find a way to change it!

The sample from each artist is from their most popular track. If you go to the artist's Spotify profily it's the top track at the moment.

(Unfortunately, it's often the most radio friendly worn out classic you're kinda bored of.)

Hi @Michail,

No, this is not the problem.

Tinder says it shows your top artists.

But it doesn't do that. That's the problem.

Instead, out of your top artists, Tinder shows the most popular of them.

So, your Tinder profile does not show YOUR top artists.

Please report this bug to the developers.

Kind regards

According to stats for Spotify the spotify API is presenting inaccurate top artist data at least in my case. For me, I apparently only have 2 top artists in the past month which I don't see as being accurate since I've listened to many other artists within that timeframe. Is there no accounting for any divergence from these 2 artists?

I was mad af here about the same issue and decided to look it up. Funny enough, I found out there are other tons of unhappy people out there and one of them took the time to study why that happened... As it turns out, it's bad coding from the developer of the Tinder app: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tinder/comments/93dd1e/tinders_top_spotify_artists_explained/?utm_medium=an...

that resetting and removing account info doesn't work, why can't it just take from recently played? or on repeat? really doesn't seem that difficult tbh other apps can do it makes me laugh that tinder cant

Why doesn’t tinder just fix this and have the same way as “spotify anthem”? In that category you can just search for the song your looking for to be shown, the “top spotify artist” could be like that to or atleast have a folder of your top 50 and you can choose from those not these random 15 or 20 artist. Some of these artists tinder recommends aren’t even artists I’ve listened to for a long time and i listen to alot of artists. Smh!

Glad I decided to look this up. It's been bugging me for years. And today it just said I have "0 Top Artists". Even though I have a ton of songs on my repeat playlist. So I disconnected and reconnected, and it updated (bc I had changed my log in from just fb on Spotify to also email once again) so my name changed but still 0 artists. But now I know that it's probably because only like 2 artists on there could possibly be considered top popular artists, and I haven't really been playing their songs. 

That also explains why there will be random pop ups if I accidentally hit a song from someone popular when searching, or listen to one Ariana Grande song suddenly she's my top artist. And then when you try to uncheck one of them it doesn't even work.

Screenshot_20220316-043831_Tinder.jpg

did anyone find this issue in the submit idea area? If so can you share the link so everyone reading this can jump on that mob wagon easily ?

What? Bad coding from Tinder? 

The app that has like 5 features, out of which NONE work well. 😅

Suggested posts