Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When casting from Webplayer, playback stops after 1 hour

When casting from Webplayer, playback stops after 1 hour

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Webplayer from chrome (latest version)

Operating System

Windows 10/latest macos

My Question or Issue

Since COVID-19, I've been working from home more recently. My work laptop doesn't have Spotify, but I'm able to use the webplayer.

Since I have a good soundsystem wired to my Chromecast, I'm using the webplayer to simply cast music to my Chromecast. Unfortunately, every time I start playing music, it stops after exactly 1 hour. It's worth noting that this happens even if I let the browser open on the Spotify webapp.

I've tried this multiple time and for example it doesn't happen if I use my spotify app on my desktop to cast. The playback then continues normally.

Is there a specific reason for that? I would consider this as a bug as the casting feature is not the same from webapp or from desktop app.

I hope there's a way to get the webapp working as good as the desktop app! 🙂

4 Replies

Hey there @Magic-Micky,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Have you tried using a different browser or an incognito window and checking whether it behaves the same way?

Also does playback stop if you're not casting, but simply playing music from the Web player.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Thanks!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello! Yes I tried different browsers/incognito/resetting cookies etc. It only happens when casting, and not when playing music on the webbrowsers itself.

It's fairly straightforward to reproduce, open a browser, go on the webplayer, cast to any chromecast device you own, wait 1h (leave the tab open or close the tab, same outcome); after this moment playback will stop.

Hey there @Magic-Micky,

Thanks for the info.

We've passed this on to the right team and they'll be looking into it. However, we haven't found any other reports on this so far.

For the time being we'd recommend using the mobile or desktop app while casting using your Chromecast device.

Thanks.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks, I appreciate this!

Eager to see improvements here 🙂

Cheers and enjoy your day!

Suggested posts