"Pause music" command not working on Google Assistant

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Oneplus 8 Pro

Operating System

Oxygen OS 11 (I have the latest version as of February 16th 2022)

My Question or Issue

All Spotify voice commands work except for those that pause. I'm using Google Assistant on my phone and have quadruple checked my Spotify permissions and settings as well as my Google Assistant permissions and settings. 

13 Replies

Hi there @GurraAgnell,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about this. 

This does seem odd and we'd like to investigate this further.

First we suggest that unlink your account with your Spotify account and then relink it in the Google Home app.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have a brand new Samsung S22 with fresh install of everything and the google assistant "Pause" voice command is the only thing I have not been able to get working since I set it up just last week. I tried unlinking my Spotify acc and redoing it. I tried reinstalling the Google app. I have reinstlaled the Spotify app. If I switch the default music player to Youtube Music or another app all commands work fine. If I use the "Hey Spotify" function, it also works fine.

Also, this only occurs if the music is playing from the phone. If the music is playing on another device (my pc), the pause function works fine. It still will not pause while playing on the phone using Google Assistant voice commands.

Hey @mb9023,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the time you took sharing the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. As the issue is happening in your mobile device, we’ll need more info to investigate it further.

Would you mind including in your next response the Spotify version and the OS version you're currently running in your Samsung?

If possible, could you include as well a short video where we can see what happens when you use the “Pause” command? You can attach it by using the Insert Video option in the post editor.

Keep us updated.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am also having issues with the "pause music" command using Google Assistant. I have a Galaxy S22 as well running Android 12. Spotify version 8.7.38.699

Hey there @DeadToTheGoodLife,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know when did this start happening and what troubleshooting you've done so far?

A short video recording of the issue would also be helpful, to illustrate exactly what's happening.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same problem, whenever i want to pause music my assistant says ok or alright ect. But the music keeps playing. Strangely enough whenever i type the same command it does work. I have done clean reinstalls and restarted my phone as well. 

Hey there @allmaxim

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind leting us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

On another note, could you send us a video of the issue happening so that we can have a look directly from your end? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm having this same issue. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra with Android version 12. Spotify version 8.7.66.534.

If I ask Google Assistant on my phone to "pause" while Spotify is playing (whether on the phone speakers or connected to a bluetooth device), the assistant says "ok" or "alright" and then proceeds to play the music. This only happens when using the phone's Google assistant.

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

This issue seems to be related to the Google Assistant. We therefore encourage you to contact the manufacturer of the assistant for further assistance. If you want, we can relay your findings to our tech team as well, so they're aware of this experience. We'd need a video recording for that though. Could you prepare one?

We'll be on the look for your reply,

Cheers!

DianModerator

It is extremely difficult to use voice assistants while the screen is being recorded, as all of them have a tendency to either pause the screen recording or refuse to activate during.

Hey @Blackpeel,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

We understand where you're coming from. No worries, you can record the video using a different device. This would help our teams in charge to take a closer look. 

On another note, as @Dian mentioned previously, it's also worth reaching out to the manufacturer of the assistant for more info about this. 

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

No this is not the problem with Google Assistant. Google Assistant Play and pause functionality works fine with every other app. It is only Spotify that it does not work

Hey @Akolyte01,

Thanks for your reply. 

To continue isolating this behavior, if you're experiencing this inconvenience, it'll really help us if you sent us more info about your affected device. Would you mind letting us know the exact make/model and OS of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you're running there?

On another note, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as a OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Lastly, it'd be really helpful if you send us a video recording of what you kindly mentioned. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts