Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Several Familiy Accounts on ONE device // Maximum length of shared playlist (Spotify kids)

Several Familiy Accounts on ONE device // Maximum length of shared playlist (Spotify kids)

Hi,

I have Spotify Family and we (2 parents, 2 kids) are quite often sharing an Android tablet, e.g. for the music in the kitchen. Related to this I have two questions:

1. Unfortunately Spotify does not seem to have a quick solution for switching between accounts/profiles on one device. (E.g. Netflix does have this really nice button "who is watching"..) Do you have any suggestion on how to share one device within one Spotify Family? Any workaround without having to log out and in again each time?

2. One thing that could make it at least a bit better is using Spotify kids, but it is really horrible (sorry) for kids audiobooks - totally unsorted and no possibility to sort. Then I thought - Ok lets create a playlist in my parents account and share it with the kids account. Afer 1h of work creating the kids playlist I saw that i can not access the full playlist in the kids account. There seems to be a limit in the length of the kids playlist that is not there in the normal App.. 😕

Whats the lenght of that limit and is there a solution for me on this point?

Thank you Felix

5 Replies

Hi @torf1,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

1. We'd recommend you create another account with a seperate email address, add to the Family plan and assign that one the communal tablet in your kitchen. You can switch OFF explicit content for that account. More info here. This way, whatever is listend on the account linked to the tablet won't influence your personal music recommendation algorithm.

2.  Would you mind telling us, how long the playlist is in duration? There shouldn't be a limit to the runtime or number of items in the shared playlist. More likely is that the Kids app won't be able to display the full contents all at once.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Alex,

thanks for your quick reply!

1. I understand your suggestion (to create a 5th totally new account for the kitchen tablet), but I dont really like it:

- We share quite some devices, as it is normal in a familiy (e.g. also the living room notebook)

- not everyone has its own device (the kids are to young for an own device)

- you can not "develop" further your personal account and don't have quick access to your current personal favorites

- I was thinking about a clone app to have 2 or more spotify apps on one tablet if there is no better solution?

2. The playlist covers 68 albums of a kids audiobook. Each album has about 40 tracks with duration of ~1:30min each. In total there are 2720 tracks and the full playtime should be ~60-70hours. Today I shared another playlist with the kids account and I figured out that the spotify kids apps does only show the first 500 tracks of each playlist. So the problem with the shared playlist should be the number of items. Is it possible to fix that?

Thank you,

Felix

Hi @torf1,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Currently there is no way to fast swap accounts on Spotify. This is why we recommened creating a seperate account for communal devices, that everyone uses. 

2. Regarding the playlist - there is no way to increase the number of shown items on a playlist in the Mobile app. Note that very large playlists like this one may have issues loading on certain devices. A workaround would be to create playlists with fewer items in them and share them at different times.

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestions with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator

Hi @Alex,

I now played around with different solutions for sharing our device in the last month. Here are my experiences, maybe its helpful for someone:

- Creating a seperate account for shared devices is what nobody in our family wanted. When my girlfriend gets up very early she just wants to listen to her music in the kitchen and not to the strange mix of an account thats shared with me and the kids.

- Its really a pitty that there is no way to fast swap accounts on normal Spotify. I saw that it is available on Spotfy kids!

- Spotify kids is unfortunately no option and need further development.

- After testing several (bad) clone-apps I found one that works perfect for us. It creates and installs a stand-alone copy of the Spotify apk with a new name, new Icon, etc. and works perfectly. And the best thing is that you only need to run the clone app once and then you don't neeed it anymore (only for updating the Spotify App). Switching between accounts is easy - you can open both installations on parallel. I don't know if Im aloud to name the clone-app here. If yes please give me a note than I will add the link (you will also find it quickly in google).

Best, Felix

Hey there @torf1,

Thanks for your response and the feedback.

We understand where you're coming from, and unless the tool you found is illegal or paid, there shouldn't be an issue to share that here with the Community. There are many useful tools created with the use of the Spotify API that can be found on our Developer's Showcase, so you can also take a look there. To be sure your posts will not get removed, please always abide to our Community Guidelines, which you can read in full here.

We've also noticed that there is an Idea here, about the feature you're are asking for. Please note that even if a suggestion didn't gather enough votes in order to get prioritized right now, you can still add your vote and comments there and we'll look into it once the idea reaches the required amount of votes. You'll also find all the relevant info about our Idea Exchange and how the Community feedback gets implemented here if you'd like to know more about the topic.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator

Suggested posts