Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My Spotify Dream

Solved!

My Spotify Dream

My new dream: work at Spotify someday

The future is always on my mind. I've been undecided of what I want to do in the future for a long time now. I worry how my Autism will be a conflict with work. Some things everyone else can do aren't so easy for me. Autism has a lot of positives that outweigh the negatives for me though. I think it gives me an advantage to think differently. I have always wanted to be a comedian because people think I'm funny and it's something I'm good at. I like to do many things though. I recently watched the movie "Nightcrawler", and I really liked the "Louis Bloom" character. Nightcrawler has a theme of work dedication and it inspired me to really think about what I want to do. I spent a lot of time thinking, and I thought to myself, what do I have the strongest passion for? What is something I do every single day? What puts the biggest smile on my face? What motivates me? What gives me that tingling feeling flowing through my blood stream?

It's MUSIC! Music is something that I have a strong passion for. It's why I volunteer for Spotify. I spend most of my time jammin' out to music and finding new artists to listen to. I spend an average of 20 hours a day listening to music. That's 20 hours total including music focused time as well as music I listen to in the background. I never get bored of music. I add an average of 2-3 new songs to my library every day. Since the beginning of 2014, I have already discovered 500 new songs and it will continue to grow. I struggle trying to pick a song to listen to because I want to listen to so many songs at once. I will get frustrated sometimes looking through my list of songs. When I listen to music I have the biggest smile in the world on my face. Music is how I am able to sleep. Music is what gets me up in the morning. I even have a speaker in my bathroom so I can blast music and dance along to it in the shower to motivate me for the day. I have a really nice music setup so whether I'm in my room, the living room, in the shower, or on the go, I can just continue on and listen to music with great equipment. When I get a chance to see one of my favorite artists perform in concert, I get so excited. Seeing an artist live in concert takes the experience to a whole new level. When I listen to music, I can feel my blood. I can feel my heart beat.

Spotify is the future of music and I want to be a part of it. You don't even have to wait for the future to use Spotify, because Spotify is here NOW. Sure, you've probably heard about all the artist controversy with Spotify, but the haters will quickly fade into the background. The haters don't understand the importance of Spotify. In the future, Spotify will probably be the first thing everyone thinks of when it comes to music. My new dream is to work at Spotify. I'm not sure if it will ever happen, but I'm so tired of being uncertain about the future. Now I don't have to worry about what I want to do. Dreams come true if you work hard enough. I know this because I've had dreams come true before. All it takes is hard work and dedication. Even if I never end up working at Spotify, at least I can say I tried. I have always liked music, but I didn't appreciate it that much and really understand it's value until I started using Spotify in 2011. Spotify took my experience of listening to music to the next level. I have Spotify to thank for getting me interested in music. The whole Spotify experience inspired me to start helping other people enjoy and use Spotify. Every single day since early 2012, I've been helping people enjoy their music on Spotify by volunteering my time in the Spotify Community. On some days, I will jeopardize my sleep in order to help out at outrageous hours of the day. The passion just takes over. The Spotify Community shows that I've spent 738970 minutes online which is 12316 hours or 513 days. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I've already put in so much effort that I can't stop now. Employees at Spotify know who I am. They know I exist. I will not go away. I've met some of them and I get to talk to them every single day and it's so cool. I believe in Spotify's vision for music and I believe I fit in with their culture. If I don't get to work at Spotify someday, I will at least try to get a job somewhere in the music industry. I just hope everything works out. I might have to move and travel for a job in the music industry, but I'm not going to worry about that right now. I'll just let music lead the way.

If you don't have the biggest smile in the world on your face when you jam out to music, then you are doing it wrong.

♫ Music keeps my heart beating ♫

- Matt Suda

original.jpg

Meeting CEO Daniel Ek - August 29, 2014 @ Spotify Stockholm HQ

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
26 Replies

@GSaldan

Thank you! I am glad you understand the music drive I have and it's great to see that others have it too.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Lovely post, keep up the good work Matt! 🙂

@MrWonderful

Thank you!

MattSudaSpotify Star

Inspirational post, congratulations!

@geovanebento

Thanks! 🙂

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

UPDATE:

I recently applied for an Internship at Spotify:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social-Random/Matt-Suda-Spotify-Internship-Cover-Letter-amp-Portfol...

Unfortunately, I was not selected. It's looking like I wasn't even seriously considered otherwise they would have asked me to interview. I was hoping I would at least make it to the interview round with my 10 years of work in the Spotify Stars Program.

If that doesn't stand out and get you an interview, then what does? 😔 💔

And there is usually nothing entry level... I have been checking the jobs website for a long time now and I only ever see advanced to more senior level job postings and no entry level (in the US). It looks like using the Spotify app for 10 years and 10 years of work in the Spotify Stars Program doesn't count as experience. And how can you get experience if you aren't selected for an Internship?

It's looking like this is a dream that will probably not happen.

Maybe there is something else out there in the music industry. If any other music company is reading this and you like what you see, then please send me a message.

MattSudaSpotify Star

You might want to try finding similar job which you do for a year paid, so they will consider it as work.

It's common problem, they do not look free work as knowledge.

The work at Spotify must be easy, you just answer questions and listen music.

Suggested posts