Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Premium - COMPLAINT

Family Premium - COMPLAINT

The following is a record of your online chat.

General Info

Chat start time

Tue, 25 Dec 2018 21:01:38 GMT GMT

Chat end time

Tue, 25 Dec 2018 21:14:00 GMT GMT

Duration (actual chatting time)

00:12:22

Operator

Fernando L

Chat Transcript

Info: Thanks for getting in touch. So we don't get disconnected, please keep this window open during the chat.
Info: Hey there! Thanks for contacting Spotify Support. You're chatting with Fernando L.

NOTE: So we don't get disconnected, please do not navigate away to another browser or app during this chat.
Info: I have a gift card and can't redeem it against my family premium account

Info:
Fernando L:

Hi there [snip - removed by moderator].

[snip - removed by moderator]: in fact i have 3 cards for £10 each but pay by direct debot
Fernando L:

I understand that you have a gift card and  you can't redeem it on your Premium for Family account. No worries, I will check it for you.

[snip - removed by moderator]: ok
Fernando L:

Just a question, are you using physical gift cards?

[snip - removed by moderator]: yes
Fernando L:

Okay. From what country you purchased it?

[snip - removed by moderator]: uk
Fernando L:

Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. The gift cards can only be used for regular Premium as they're just designed to provide regular Premium on an account. If the account is on Premium for Family, they can't be used.

[snip - removed by moderator]: ok so that's it? I have £30 i can' t use? amazing
Fernando L:

You can give it to a family member or friend who'd like to be on Premium or, if in case that you will be switching to regular Premium, those gift cards you have can still be used.

[snip - removed by moderator]: not really the point of a gift card is it? I receive them and have to give them away. please log this as a customer complaint. i am very disappointed by this
Fernando L:

Okay. I will take note of it.

[snip - removed by moderator]:

I am so sorry for the inconvenience. Anything else that I can still help you?

[snip - removed by moderator]: no
Fernando L:

Alright. Bye for now. have a wonderful day.

Info: Thank you for chatting with us! You know where to find us the next time you need help.

1 Reply

Hey there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us, and apologies for the confusion.

As per this support article, it is not possible to redeem a gift card in conjunction with other discounts or promotions, including Premium for Family.

However, there is a workaround which is not mentioned in that article which allows you to apply your gift cards to a Family plan. You will have to do the following:

1. Cancel your subscription
  2. Apply the codes to your account
  3. Resubscribe to Premium for Family and reinvite your Family members

That way, you will have the credit of the gift cards applied to your account, so that each month the price of the Family plan will be deducted from the amount.

Bear in mind that the amount of Premium time you will now have is inferior to the Premium time you would have had if you were on a standard Premium plan due to the difference in price between the two plans. 

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this. I'll be happy to help 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts