Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium price increase?

Premium price increase?

I have Spotify Premium for $9.99 per month, but without warning my account was charged $10.69 this month. When I view my subscription details on Spotify.com, it still says the price is $9.99. Why has my price increased?

22 Replies

Hey dloprinzi - Let's take a closer look for you.  Mind sending over a screenshot with what you see on your subscription page? 

If you send that via the contact form our payments team can clear up any questions--thanks! 

I don't see where I can send an attachment for the screen shot. 

Hi dloprinzi - If you send that first email the team will get back to you with the info they need. 

Attaching a screenshot after shouldn't be a poblem. 

Taxes? I know whenever I signed up and entered in my credit card information, it told me that it would be $9.99 plus tax which I dont know if it is because I live in PA and our tax rate is 7% but mine came to $10.69 as well which would be a 7% tax rate.

Hi guys,

This would be a tax thing. You can read more about it here.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Hi Meredith,

I have the same problem.

My account was simply cancelled and changd to 'free' although my payment details are up to date and working.

I have the $9.99 premium account when I tried to sign back up it suddenly costs $12.99

What are you doing?

This is pretty bad customer experience and btw a customer service hotline would be a good idea.

What's your proposes solution?

Thanks,

Mathias

@mathias555 - Are you definitely subscribing through the website and not inside the app?

Upgrade from your online account here:
https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

In app purchases cost 30% more due to the store owner taking a cut.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I wonder if you purchased a gift card and used it for your account that would be a way around your issue.

Gift cards will always be at the standard price as far as I am aware since you either have to purchase them from a high street store or directly from the Spotify website.

The only places it should cost more is if:
- You are purchasing in-app using iTunes or Google Play (where available)
- You are somewhere, normally US, where sales tax is added to the price if you are in a state where sales tax is required.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah... My price just went up to $13/mo... They think I won't care about $40/annual increase they are wrong...  There are too many market subsitutes...

1. I did a trial about three months ago when spirit was 9.99/month. Mat the end of the trial (which was only a week and not a month as promised) I tried to join and could not. I sent a message to spirit. No reply. Now, having finally resolved the mystery, I was poised to join. The price has increased to 12.99/month!!!!!! Explanation, please.

5:09 PM SORRY!!! Autocorrect messed with me. 'Spirit' s/b SPOTIFY
1. I did a trial about three months ago when Spotify was 9.99/month. At the end of the trial (which was only a week and not a month as promised) I tried to join and could not. I sent a message to Spotify. No reply. Now, having finally resolved the mystery, I was poised to join. The price has increased to 12.99/month!!!!!! Explanation, please.

Hey, I am having the same exact issue becuase I updated through the app. Do you know how I an resolve this? I'd like to cancel my account through the app and re-register on the Spotify website. Assuming that will bring be back to 9.99 a month. Still not sure why I'm being charged 10.49 for some months and not others. Spotify customer service is difficult to get any real-time solution. 

I was paying $9.99 a month as well. Suddenly with a subscription renewal, I am now paying $12.99 + tax = $13.80. I don't understand where the increase is coming from. If what everyone is saying is true, can someone assist me in cancelling from the app and subscribing again through the wired site? I would like to go back to paying $9.99 a month if possible! Otherwise I plan to just cancel Spotify 😞

Please and thank you!

@Anniermurph 

You might have subscribed to premium through the iPhone or iPad app.

To cancel your subscription, you need to cancel it from iTunes. Your subscription is being handled by Apple.

Information on how to do this can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

http://www.imore.com/how-cancel-or-modify-itunes-or-app-store-subscription-right-your-iphone-or-ipad

THEN resubscribe through the Spotify website for $9.99

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Did the premium price increase from $9.99 to $12.99?

@adlairuffin 

You might have subscribed to premium through the iPhone or iPad app. It costs $12.99 because Apple charges a feee. Through the Spotify website it costs $9.99

To cancel your subscription, you need to cancel it from iTunes. Your subscription is being handled by Apple.

Information on how to do this can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

http://www.imore.com/how-cancel-or-modify-itunes-or-app-store-subscription-right-your-iphone-or-ipad

THEN resubscribe through the Spotify website for $9.99

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks.. this solved the problem perfectly.

tax

Suggested posts