Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot use my crypto.com Visa card

Solved!

cannot use my crypto.com Visa card

Hallo, i am currently a subscriber to Spotify family plan.

Problem is that recently i received a visa from crypto.com that comes with a monthly compensation as soon as i pay Spotify with their card.

The problem is the (well known) card doesn't match the country setting.

My account is based in Greece and the card I'm trying to use is UK based. So if i switch to UK which is the country of card issue the card will probably work.

Of course i mentioned that to crypto.com but i must admit that as soon as they provide me a card that works everywhere else, they provide a fine service, and i don't think that they have to issue a country specific card for every user they have.

May i ask why Spotify keeps accepting only cards that are issued locally? The obvious answer is to prevent users of switching countries to their favour, BUT they accept PayPal where you can add almost every card independent of the issuing country.

As i mentioned i live in Greece and currently paying via PayPal, using a Lithuanian MasterCard 🙂 (but cannot use crypto.com)

Nowadays everyone can get a Visa or MasterCard from another country, like the well known revolut or N26.

So is there a solution coming soon or will spotify continue to use this outdated identification system? Maybe it's time for a policy change?

Because right now i must change the account to UK, where i must pay almost double for no reason, and if i do so, there will be probably an issue with our Greek address for all the members 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Greekscreamer,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

As this is not a standard payment method we support, you should reach out to the payment provider for any help with issues. 

Note that in order to subscribe to Premium, the country of your card must match the current country your Spotify account is set to, which should be the country you're currently in. Additionally, the card should allow for international recurring payments.

Hope this makes sense. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

55 Replies

Same problem here.
I wanted to pay for a premium, but if i can't use my card it's a no-go for me.

My card is from UK also... and my country is not UK. My profile is set correctly to the country where I am now, not UK.
Really sad that spotify don't want to receive my money... 

Marked as solution

Hi @Greekscreamer,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

As this is not a standard payment method we support, you should reach out to the payment provider for any help with issues. 

Note that in order to subscribe to Premium, the country of your card must match the current country your Spotify account is set to, which should be the country you're currently in. Additionally, the card should allow for international recurring payments.

Hope this makes sense. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

I cannot accept this answer.  On this page https://support.spotify.com/de/article/payment-methods/ you state that you accept prepay cards from visa.

I live in Switzerland but my Visa card is issued in UK. Why does this pose a problem for you?

On Netflix I had no problems with my new card. Why with Spotify?

Hey @raei,

Thanks for the reply.

Spotify Premium is priced differently in different countries, so that is more affordable for everybody. On Spotify the country of your account must match the country in which your card is issued in order to pay for the Premium subscription. This measure is intended with the idea to reduce abuse of this price difference.

We're here if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

Hallo to everyone and thanks for all replies.

First of all i understand that spotify tries to reduce abuse of the price difference and i really want to mention the following things:

1. Spotify accepts PayPal, and as everyone knows PayPal connects cards independently of issuing country.

2. Everyone can get through an app like N26 or revolut a Lithuanian or German mastercard, or a card even outside EU. Then they choose the cheapest country available 🙂

3. As i see anyone can change his country on Spotify in one click. Then easily use PayPal 🙂

With the above mentioned, i really think that this policy is totally outdated, and i thing that it only prevents us, users, of taking advantage of offers that other companies paying for.

Netflix, steam, and other famous services doesn't even use this strict policy, and they also have different pricing depending of country. They use IP check, etc...

So please can anyone forward this opinion to the people that are on charge of this policies to give a second thought?

And another question, if i change the country to UK, overlooking that is almost double price, to reduce the cost via the offer, will we have a problem with the Greek address our family plan is registered? Thank you in advance

@Alex

Thank you for your answer.

I am still not convinced. You implicitly suggest that I should change the country of my Spotify account to UK, even though I live in Switzerland. Sorry, but that is ridiculous. There will be more and more customers in the same situation as me in the future. Do you really want to annoy all of them? Can't Spotify find a better solution?

Indeed raei, 3 persons i know will receive the same card till the end of month, and all of them found it as a good opportunity to subscribe to Spotify, otherwise not. They will of course face the same issue and will come to this discussion maybe to find a solution to their future problem.

@Greekscreamer

I have now contacted Spotify support. I am looking forward to their answer.

Thanks raei, please mention them our posts here to have also in mind.

Same here. Sorry for them. Will not cry if I have 10 more euros to spend elsewhere 🙃

All is fine if u update card info via PC desktop, only on android chrome it's broken. Just did it with my crypto.com 😉

I tried again through Firefox for Desktop and also for android, then tried via Chrome desktop and android, and made sure that international use of my card is enabled, but still nothing.
Maybe you already live in the UK or the coutry you are living matches with the country of crypto.com card.

As expected, the support was not very cooperative. They say it's for licensing and tax reasons, that the means of payment has to be issued in the same country as the Spotify account is used. I have now given up.

However, I have found a workaround which I am now testing. I will report again when I know more.

Hey all, I'm also a new owner of the CDC-card (Ruby) myself and already made a few successful direct online purchases with cashback these last couple of weeks. But yesterday my first subscription payment failed (my Microsoft subscription) and failed again when I tried to make the payment manually; citing a "Bad Request" error during verification. I did already change the payment method from my bank to my new CDC-card a couple of weeks beforehand but to no avail..

Afterwards I connected my CDC-card to my PayPal, set it is as preferred method and the manual payment worked instantly and got withdrawn from my CDC-card wallet. The thing is though I didn't receive any cashback over it (yet?). And reading from posts here it seems that PayPal at least works as back-up, but do you guys get a CRO-rebate through your PayPal connection for the Spotify subscription? If you do, we could at least have the relieve of knowing that we have a back-up method I guess.

I already manage a running family subscription with 6 people in total and I really don't want to have the payment fail at the end of this month, but I'm a little cautious by now. Should I just change the method to PayPal and pay with my CDC-card that way?

PS: I'm Dutch and also live in the Netherlands and my CDC-card and account are registered in Lithuania but my CDC-card app has international usage enabled.

Hallo LuukH94,
as soon as the CDC card is not directly accepted in Spotify due to countries mismatch, i also connected the CDC card to PayPal to use this alternative method. I had also the same question as you -will i receive the compensation that way?- I asked the official crypto.com support about, and i received the following answer: "We are aware of rewards not being credited and some transactions being cancelled when using this card with PayPal, so i will advise you not to connect the card specifically for the Spotify reimbursement."
Diplomatic answer i have to say, indicating that we'll receive nothing this way. I anyway used this method because i have no alternative, and see if it will work by the next payout. But no big hopes...
I would suggest opening tickets to crypto.com, refering to this post, because if they give no compensations via PayPal at least, that means that Spotify offer is unclaimable, espacially for family plan users like us.
And i am asking again if anyone knows, can we change the country for the card to function, but leave our family member adress as it is?

Thanks for sharing your correspondence with Crypto.com, that's a real shame as to why would they otherwise advertise the rebate to us Europeans..

For me it's the 26th this month and I'll update here if it works for me. My other billing through PayPal for my Microsoft subscription did not net me any CRO cashback btw, so I'm doubting it will work for Spotify.

Let's give each other an update here if it goes through for any of us!

Hello all.
I also first had problems with the CDC Visa card on Spotify.
Live in Germany.
I then activated the international use in the CDC app and entered the data of the Visa card (the real card, since the preliminary virtual data in the CDC APP differ) again at Spotify.
Payment was then made and refund from CDC in cro came within a few hours.

I have the same problem. Living in Switzerland, my CDC starts with 43 what references to UK. I set it to UK within Spotify, but also wrote the crypto.com support. I guess more and more people will raise this issue soon as they used the Spotify subscription as an incentive to join in the first place...

Hey all, just a quick update on my own situation that my automatic billing straight from my CDC-card (and not through PayPal) worked yesterday and I got the $12,-(/€11,51) rebate + cashback on the remaining costs of my family subscription!

Hopefully I can share some data around my situation in hopes that it helps anybody else:

-International usage enabled

-Dutch nationality, based in the Netherlands

-My CDC-account is registered in Lithuania (as I think is the same for everybody in the EU?)

-For my already existing family subscription I changed the existing payment-method to my virtual CDC-card

-Ordered the physical card, but status is still on "issued" and thus I haven't changed any card info along the way

After reading posts here and on other forums, I am also anticipating having to change my card information as soon as my physical card arrives in the mail..

Best off luck to you all!

Suggested posts