Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing the heart button to a plus

Solved!

Changing the heart button to a plus

Hey there,

We wanted to let you know that our design team is currently testing a new layout for the button responsible for adding items to Your Library and your playlists on iOS. The team is exploring revamping the look and some of the functions of the Now Playing view and this includes a possible change of the heart symbol for a plus sign thus streamlining the process to encompass "one button to rule them all" design.

In some versions of the app you might see a plus instead of the heart or you may see some differences in the way the Now Playing view looks, so if you want to share your feedback with the team it's best that you also include a screenshot of what you see so that we'd be able to properly sort and forward your thoughts.

When designing this new experience our teams tried to incorporate as much as possible of your valuable feedback from our older tests about this. As before, we would really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the test in this thread. Your feedback will this way reach the right team directly.

Let's continue to together improve our experience using the Spotify app!

Dian_0-1673963885652.png

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
229 Replies

I still believe my post above is a great compromise, it keeps the visual indicator, provides a faster way to add/remove songs from your Liked Songs, and keeps the great functionality of adding to multiple playlists at once.

Please move the track title back to beneath the album artwork. My opinion on that will never change.

lets do a pollunit vote

vote here

@乃卂乃ㄚ乇匚卄ㄖ0

Is this the heart and the plus in its current state, or with possible changes?

I rarely provide feedback on things like this, even when things like the fantastic running cadence feature are removed (RIP to that wonderful feature btw), but I really dislike the Now Playing layout that I’m seeing right now.

First off, why are there two cover arts? What’s with the little one in the corner? Secondly, the title and artist should remain near the music controls. That’s where my eyes go so all that information should be there in the center of the screen by my thumb to see and use in one glance rather than having to keep looking to the top. It also just looks like a header right now and feels like it’s not part of the now playing screen. Thirdly, the ellipses with further options leading to the artist, album, etc. should be by the controls also, as before. The current layout forces me to use two hands to get to those options. I have an iPhone 13 and relatively large hands so I can’t imagine using a larger phone or having smaller hands with this layout. Fourth, why on earth is the sleep timer dead center of the screen? I have literally never used that and will literally never use that. I simply couldn’t care if it even existed so why is it in the first place my eyes look on the screen? Fifth, I would like to have the ability to return to the playlist by tapping the playlist name (like before when it was what was at the top of the screen). It can currently be done with two taps by opening the queue, but it could be done with one tap before.

Overall, it seems like the design team looked at the UI and thought to themselves, “how can we make this less user friendly and even more confusing to look at?” I can see how that might be a motivation to attempt to frustrate people into purchasing a subscription/premium tier to get a better UI, but I’m already on that paid tier. It’s quite surprising to me how a couple relatively minor changes to the layout have created such a negative impact on its usability. I’m really hoping that this layout is not permanent and is reverted to the one I was seeing yesterday as soon as possible.

0AB6EA5D-A6EF-4D00-92B3-BE4C89EB5E7A.png

When scrolling through albums or playlists, you can no longer easily see the songs you have liked, as there is no green heart next to the songs. The heart system has been replaced with an overengineered "plus" symbol. This makes liking/managing songs/playlists very difficult. Please bring back this feature!

this new update made my spotify layout absolutely terrible, you can’t read the whole playlist title, the song title looks so out of place at the top, having the like share and other buttons in the middle feels so unnecessary, etc

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, and welcome to the Spotify Community! 🙂

At Spotify they're always testing possible improvements, so you or someone else may see something new or get a limited feature temporarily on the app. It's great to hear your feedback so moderators can pass this along to the proper team.

Hope this clears things up!

/Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I literally created a username for my account after 6 years of being a Spotify user just so I could comment about how much I hate this redesign.

Moving the artist/album name to the top looks beyond stupid — it’s almost like there’s plenty of space under the album cover now exactly for that! When I click on my playlist name, it doesn’t take me to the playlist anymore! wth is the point then?  I’m glad my version still has the heart button because that’s the only redeeming quality right now.

Just look at how stupid this screenshot looks. The share button in the middle like that? Why?? When will Spotify stop fixing things that aren’t broken? 

BD4AF125-9FF4-42BA-96DE-3DE91E5FAA53.png

agreed, this is absolutely terrible what they've done.

none of these changes are improvements or make any logical sense.

I can understand aspects of the new update (for select individuals) being useful, but the number one issue that is nonnegotiable is the heart button/icon.  It brings so much to the platform and when going through unknown artists it makes it easy to find the songs I liked by them in the past. I understand ways around it but that is an added inconvenience when there is still space for a heart.  Every single person I have talked to about this agrees but wouldn’t post here about it, so I hope this allows their voice to be heard as well, thank you!!

I have the same issue. Absolutely not a fan. All our lives media has been the same - song title in the middle, under the album art. why make this change? Makes no sense

A17B4967-5EF1-4207-8346-883AAB825186.png

This new "plus" sign is so bad, I hate not being able to see the songs I like when I'm looking through my Spotify account. I miss the hearts. Pls bring them back soon 🙂

Thanks, I hate it.

The worst part is not extra step to like a song (that's fine), it's that I can't easily know which songs I like when I browse through an artist songs/albums. Not knowing from the "now playing" UI is annoying as well.

Hmm.. has this function been removed? It's not really showing on my end.. I'm using a MacBook Pro 2020 (M1 Chip)

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 1.30.53 AM.png

Is something up?

Hey @Xavion_Kyte,

The ongoing test is only for iOS devices, so you won't see these changes on your Mac.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Yordan,

I see! Thank you for the clarification!

Cheers! 🥂 

"If you think this is useful, consider accepting it as a solution or liking it! Thanks...!" 😊 

- Tec-04 (⌧ʙɹıʌи)

I have no affiliation with Spotify (as an employee).

Follow my Spotify

(I can help in English, 简体中文,繁體中文)

my wife hates it. Adding a song to liked songs playlist is not the same thing as liking a song. I cannot look at a song a know if it’s in my liked playlist.

I got the plus button a couple of days ago. I’m not necessarily against it being a plus sign (although the hearts look better to me) and so far it seems to streamline adding songs to playlists which is nice. 

Would it be possible to return the heart (or some other ‘liked song’ indicator) next to liked songs when viewing in an album or playlist? I constantly rotate what I’m listening to and am bad with song titles so it’s useful to me to be able to pick out and queue liked songs when I happen across them, not having the hearts is ruining the experience for me. 

Get rid of the ugly black bar at the top of the now playing page. Go back to the old version where the album colours extended to each Conor of the screen around the iPhone notch. And why put the song title and artist at the top? You eyes naturally go towards the middle of the screen below the artwork. 

I love Spotify. I've been using it for years, I use it every day, I've totalled up 145k+ listening minutes just this past year. But I just do not understand the appeal of making useless changes like this. Is there seriously nothing more that can be fixed with this app? What is the point of moving things around for no reason, making the UI confusing when it was perfectly fine and convenient before?

1. The title and artist at the top is not only a really trivial thing to change but just silly. When I am looking at my phone I don't want to move my eyes up to the top unless I'm looking at the time. I'm not trying to hunt out the song and artist name—previously it was so easy to see. There is also now an awkward space beneath the album art that is filled with the share/sleep/like buttons. Overall it just does not work with the interface and looks ridiculous.
  2. The buttons. They look ugly. I don't want the share button where my song title was. If I need to share a song, which I rarely do, I can just swipe into the menu and do that. Same with sleep mode. 
  3. The name of the playlist/album at the bottom. What is the reason? This has been switched around like 5 times and I just don't get it. Leaving it at the top, where the song and artist name now are, would have been perfectly fine. I would say that the album/playlist name are the last thing that people usually look at, since most of us know what we clicked into in order to play a song. It's just silly change after change and I don't see the point. Again, is there nothing else left to do/improve?

Overall, I've had time to sit with this UI and I just find it much harder to look at for no reason. I much prefer the "classic" Spotify look and I miss the screenshots I had from that time. I want to continue using Spotify because I truly think it is the best and most intuitive app for someone who listens to music day in and day out, but this pattern of fixing what isn't broken does not look good.

BFCD7F49-C52B-4413-AA0C-A9A7732AC7E8.jpeg

Suggested posts