Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop: New Your Library sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player.

The new Your Library sidebar improves navigation and makes it easier and faster to collect and retrieve all types of content, bringing new features to desktop that you're already familiar with in the mobile app. The new sidebar is also more customizable than before to meet different preferences.

You can read more info about the new desktop experience in the Spotify Newsroom post:

This thread is your go-to destination for learning what's new, asking questions, getting help for issues you might have, as well as to share your feedback about the new Your Library sidebar for desktop. Also, do you have any tips for other users on how you are using the new Your Library sidebar? We'd love to hear them.

What's new in the Your Library sidebar?

• See your entire collection and all of the content types (not just playlists)

• Filters for your collection (Playlists, Artists, Albums, Podcasts) that can be combined with other filters (By you, By Spotify, Downloaded)

• Sort options for your collection (Recents, Recently Added, Alphabetical, Creator, Custom Order)

• Chosen filters and sort options will be remembered in the sidebar across restarts of the desktop app

• Search through your collection in the sidebar

• Pinned library items to find your favorites, faster – current limit is 4 (Playlists, Playlist Folders, Artists, Albums, Podcasts)

• Art covers are now shown in the sidebar

• Compact library layout (no art covers) is available as an option in Settings to increase content density

• Dedicated + (plus) button to create Playlists and Playlist Folders

• Flexible Sizing: A collapsed library view (with only art covers) to maximize the browsing area, a regular width view, and an expanded view for more focused library management and curation. (you can also drag to customize the size)

• In the expanded library view, you have options for list view, compact view, and a grid view. The list and compact views show you more details in 2 columns, Date Added and Last Played, and the grid view allows you to see larger art covers.

• Playlist Folders can still be expanded into the sidebar in a tree view, and now when you click on them, the sidebar only shows the Playlist Folder and what's inside for a more focused view.

• Menu option to move a playlist to a folder (with search)

Note: The Your Library sidebar experience will be the same for the most part in the Web Player. However, the Web Player does not support all of the features found in the desktop app. To be able to use all of the features, you can download the desktop app right here.

Tips to get started:

If you need a familiar experience to help you get started with the new Your Library sidebar, here's how to get it as close as possible to the old sidebar that previously only showed playlists:

• In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter at the top.

• Then, in the drop down menu select "Custom Order" under "Sort by". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to move your playlists and folders like before.

Sidebar Tips.png

• Your currently chosen filters and sort options will be remembered across restarts of the desktop app.

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the drop down menu and at the bottom of the menu click on "Compact" under "View as".

Desktop Sidebar Compact View.png

Compact Layout.png

• Flexible Sizing: You can drag the Your Library sidebar to different sizes. Fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button at the top, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading to see only art covers.

• At the top, you can scroll through the different filters with your mouse scroll wheel for faster navigation when the sidebar is set to a smaller size. 

Walkthrough of the basics:

Sidebar List:

You can now see your entire collection and all of the content types (not just playlists) in the sidebar list. At the top, click on the filters to filter the content you want to see, and click on the drop down menu to change the sort order or view of the list. To create a new Playlist or Playlist Folder, click on the + (plus) button at the top right corner of the sidebar. To search through your collection, click on the search button.

Sidebar List Options.png

Filter Options:

At the top, click on the filters to filter the content you want to see. You can scroll through the different filters with your mouse scroll wheel for faster navigation when the sidebar is set to a smaller size. 

To remove the filter, click on the X or the currently selected filter and then choose another filter to see another type of content. Having no filter selected will show all types of content mixed in the list.

• Playlists
  • Artists
  • Albums
  • Podcasts & Shows
  • These can be combined with other filters: By you, By Spotify, Downloaded

Sort Options:

At the top, click on the drop down menu to change the sort order of the list under "Sort by".

• Recents
  • Recently Added
  • Alphabetical
  • Creator

When the "Playlists" filter is selected, you have the option to see your playlists in your own custom order.

• Custom Order

When the "Podcasts & Shows" filter is selected, you have the following option:

• Recently Updated

View Options:

At the top, click on the drop down menu to change the view of the list under "View as".

• Compact (view text only without art covers)
  • List
  • Grid (bigger art covers)

Flexible Sizing:

You can hover over and click on the right edge of the sidebar to drag it to your preferred width. You can also fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button at the top, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading to see only art covers.

In the expanded library view, you have options for list view, compact view, and a grid view. The list and compact views show you more details in 2 columns, Date Added and Last Played, and the grid view allows you to see larger art covers.

Expanded Library.png

FAQ:

This section will answer your frequently asked questions and will be updated with the latest answers.

Related help articles on the support website:

Your Library   • Sort and filter   • Keyboard Shortcuts

Can I view the Your Library page in the main browsing area like before?

• Unfortunately, the old Your Library page in the main browsing area is being discontinued with the release of the new Your Library sidebar. You can adjust the size of the Your Library sidebar to be bigger and you can also enable the "grid view" if you would like to see bigger art covers.

How do I see only my playlists in the sidebar like I used to be able to, I can't drag and move my playlists or folders anymore?

• In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter at the top.

Then, in the sort options drop down menu select "Custom Order". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to move your playlists and folders like before.

Your currently chosen filters and sort options will be remembered across restarts of the desktop app.

I don't want to see art cover images in the sidebar, how do I turn them off?

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the drop down menu and at the bottom of the menu click on "Compact" under "View as".

How do I get the album art to expand in the bottom left corner like before? When I try to expand the album art, it opens the Now Playing View sidebar to the right.

• Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. When you expand the album art in the bottom left corner of the app, it will no longer hover over the Your Library sidebar. Instead, the new right sidebar will open up. You can resize the Now Playing View sidebar to your preferred size.

You can read more information about this by going here.

How do I play or shuffle play a Playlist Folder now? (I don't see dedicated pages with play / shuffle options anymore)

• Right click on a Playlist Folder and select the "Play" option. To shuffle play, make sure to turn on the shuffle mode first before selecting the "Play" option in the right click menu.

How do I get to my Local Files now?

Then, in the sort drop down select "Custom Order".

The "Local Files" playlist will be near the top of the list under your pinned items (if any).

Where can I give my feedback about the new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app?

• We welcome your feedback about this change. The best way to share your feedback is to comment here in this thread.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1,012 Replies

Updates:

This section is reserved to inform you of updates to the new Your Library sidebar such as changes and new features.

September 2023:

• "Compact View" option has moved to the drop down menu

The "Compact View" option has moved from the settings page. You can now select this option directly from the Your Library sidebar.

At the top, click on the drop down menu to change the view of the list under "View as".

• Compact (view text only without art covers)
    • List
    • Grid (bigger art covers)

• "Grid View" option is now available when the sidebar is set to a smaller width

You can now select the "Grid View" option from the drop down menu to see bigger art covers when the sidebar is set to a smaller width and not fully expanded with the arrow button at the top.

Desktop Sidebar Compact View.png

June 2023:

• New "Now Playing View" right sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new "Now Playing View" sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player to go along with the recently released "Your Library" sidebar. The Now Playing View in the right sidebar shows the album art and info of the current song or podcast you are playing and also shows more information about the artist.

When you expand the album art in the bottom left corner of the app, it will no longer hover over the Your Library sidebar. Instead, the new right sidebar will open up. You can resize the Now Playing View sidebar to your preferred size.

You can read more information about this by going here.

• Your Library sidebar width can now be made wider

Thanks for your feedback about the maximum Your Library width size. You can now drag the Your Library sidebar to be even wider.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the detailed update @MattSuda!

Is there a timeline for when the new UI to be rolled out to all users? I got the change once (without the sidebar) in early February and it went away after an hour, never to be seen by my client again.

Also, another user noted that the meatball menu that used to be in the upper left corner is no longer there. Has this been relocated, or removed entirely?

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1682706105694.png

Any new folders I create are not showing up in my Windows Desktop App, they show up on my iPhone app but I can't move or change the folder name from New Folder on there.

Listen I been a paying member of Spotify for years at this point. I am also in development. When you make changes to your app please consider current users. 

Over the years I have worked to cultivate my playlists in specific order. Those playlists apart from the great service is what keeps me here.

I get having to progress but at this point your updates are getting in the way of me just listening to music. Do not force me and others to move off this service. The last couple changes feel to me like they are getting in the way of just listening to music. 

I cannot sort by custom order on the desktop app (see photo). Also, why is there a four pin limit? This new UI is pretty awful (it was bad on the iOS app), and I'd like my desktop app to look as much like the old version as possible, which seems to be the consensus among people on Spotify forums.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 130903.png

Hey @lizforster856

Do you have a filter selected at the top of that section?

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1682709322697.png

No, I hadn't. Thanks for clarifying that.

please change it back. this is so cluttered and it's a much worse experience for me than before. there's so much going on, i dont know why this was changed from the straightforward and minimal desktop app. please give us an option to change it back to the normal one.

It's quite annoying that filters do not persist after closing and reopening the app. I don't like the floating album art, it is no longer resizeable and side scrolling depending on the zoom, resolution, and size of the left bar is quite annoying. I liked looking at my favorited albums full screen, the only workaround I have found is SHIFT+ALT+3. Using and doing certain things now requires MORE user intervention which is the absolute opposite of what you want. I always want my songs and playlists to be in CUSTOM order. I hope to see this improved, this very much feels like beta software. 

Hey @Fuzziekiwi

According to the post, your filters and sorting order should persist after closing the app, and the sidebar should be resizable. It's possible that your client is still on an experimental version. Please check for an update, or reinstall your client using these steps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the new interface. I'm really glad the custom order option is still possible.

Looks like this was fixed since a few days ago. I just tested it. No intervention from my end. The sidebar is resizable yes, but I don’t want that left bar to take up so much space and having to constantly resize it and not be able to view my playlist folder in full screen is absolutely annoying.

I like to view the album art of what I am playing while browsing through music/albums/playlist. This interface makes it much more annoying to navigate, even with the bar at it's full size. Just feels so cluttered. I don't want to be constantly resizing this and messing around with the UI to get to what I want to play and discover.

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

I like to view and navigate with album art up and this update makes it hard.I like to view and navigate with album art up and this update makes it hard.

Much worse navigation as you can see here even with the bar fully extended.Much worse navigation as you can see here even with the bar fully extended.

Please change it back! Why should I give up on half of my desktop size to have an overview of my albums and artists? I think it's a huge downgrade and makes my browsing experience much worse. 

I don't want to see art cover images in the sidebar, how do I turn them off?

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the Spotify app Settings  Library ➜ and turn on "use compact library layout".

Great, now add the same preference for songs listed inside playlists and I'll come back to premium.

I had the 'listening now' feature on my desktop app and I love it, I think it should be fully added to the desktop app. This feature allows me to see all of the information I like to see at once - and I can have the lyrics pulled up as well which is another important feature to me. 

Where did the right sidebar go for Windows desktop? I just had it and fat-fingered closing it. This sidebar showed upcoming tours, merch, and the next in the queue. 

This showed up in the same place as "Friend Activity" and was enabled by a small icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the application. Since this new update, the icon that was used to enable this right sidebar is since gone. 

Can we please get the option to revert the desktop UI to an older version? Give people the option to use the new (in my opinion clunky) UI or an older version they are used to. 

Yeah it's an absolute shame Spotify is sticking to their guns with this atrocious new Sidebar concept. It breaks the entire app. Your Library is the absolute most important part of the entire desktop app, and now it's squeezed into this annoying side bar, that you have to drag out and resize to even see a few of the hundreds of artists I follow. Absolutely absurd UI design. I've been a Spotify subscriber for 8 years and cancelled for good after this update.
On the plus side, since Spotify decided to destroy their desktop app, I finally downloaded and tried TIDAL, and it's so much better, and a breath of fresh air. Well designed desktop app, like Spotify used to be years ago, and a pleasure to use. I urge everyone else to give it a try.

Suggested posts