Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Import MediaMonkey Library to Spotify

Solved!

Import MediaMonkey Library to Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Samsung Galaxy S7

Operating System

Windows 10 Professional

My Question or Issue

Hi chaps,

Seen a couple of threads floating around but no real clear final answer or conclusion on this.

As I appreciate the process will likely at minimum be two-pronged, my question is accordingly two-fold:

*Is Spotify able to import csv's or textfiles either natively or by plugin/extension? To be clear, I've got no expectation of audio itself getting imported, but it's more the playlists/song lists themselves as manually replicating this would be a mammoth task. I know an "export" from Spotify can be done by dragging a playlist to desktop which creates a web URL but that's the closest I've ever gotten to finding any import/export functionality.

*And for bonus points, is there any documentation as to formats Spotify expects for imported playlists? I'm sure there may be some discrepancy between MM's export format and Spotify's expected import format, but I'm fully prepared that I may need to do some find/replace or use macros to manipulate the text/metadata into a format Spotify can use and recognize.

I'm fairly technical, so please shoot any suggestions or findings from experience (painful as I have a feeling it may be) and I can give it my best shot.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Grim_Fandango !

Welcome to the Community.

Spotify doesn't have the ability to do this itself. But when I made the best move of my life (Apple Music to Spotify) I used this tool: https://www.tunemymusic.com/

This is of course a third party application.

When selecting the source it does look like you can upload a CSV file into it (can you generate one from MediaMonkey?)

I hope this helps - keep me posted!

Cheers,

Tom

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Grim_Fandango !

Welcome to the Community.

Spotify doesn't have the ability to do this itself. But when I made the best move of my life (Apple Music to Spotify) I used this tool: https://www.tunemymusic.com/

This is of course a third party application.

When selecting the source it does look like you can upload a CSV file into it (can you generate one from MediaMonkey?)

I hope this helps - keep me posted!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks a million Tom!

Ironically after contacting support and asking the question getting a useless "there is no way to do it" response, I did a bit more digging and came across that myself yesterday - end results were tremendous!

As a bit of background, the hard drives housing this music have been sitting in storage for the past 5 years + and I have been on Spotify Premium since, never bothering to move stuff over in an orderly fashion. Accordingly, it's been a long time since I've used MM and this is on a new PC.

I tried using TuneMyMusic with an old m3u playlist file, but naturally the paths are no longer valid and even modding with find/replaces there were broken tracks, so rescanned the entire music folder into a fresh library before exporting to m3u again.

Results on TuneMyMusic were atrocious considering, naturally, m3u's only contain folder paths and filenames leaving a lot of guesswork up to TMM - a large percentage of the "matches" off the filenames were for totally wrong songs.

Taking a step back, I instead exported to CSV and with the added flexibility of including values for artist AND song name from the metadata it resulted in a ~93% success and looks pretty accurate to me. Nothing short of spectacular! The fails are totally to be expected due to some typos in metadata and some obscure bands that may not even be on Spotify, but it definitely did far more than I dared hope. It also told me the failed ones so I've saved those and will look at tidying these when I get a gap.

Very impressed with their efforts and have e-mailed them to say as much - Spotify on the other hand, I'm very disappointed with. I can understand their reticence creating export tools (for obvious reasons) or creating a tool for import for every of the multitude of small, random players like MediaMonkey out there, but CSV import? Import from the larger cloud providers? Surely it's a no-brainer for trying to encourage new users onto their platform and it's been demonstrated it's obviously do-able without granting a third-party access to your account?

Mainly writing this for the benefit of anyone running into this issue in future - TuneMyMusic is a fantastic tool... Give it a bash! As for Spotify themselves, very poor show.

Hi @Grim_Fandango 

No problem, glad I could help.

And an import feature directly with Spotify would be pretty awesome! You can take a look at the Ideas Exchange and see if this has already been submitted (I had a quick look but couldn't see anything), if not, you can submit the idea.

Stay safe,

Tom

Thanks Guys, I know it's a long time later but just found this thread and it worked brilliantly for me. Downloaded CSV file and imported to Spotify. Can't wait to get back in the car where I play most of my music.

Glad it helped someone else! I've been happy as larry ever since with my complete music library wherever I go 😀

Was a complete ballache and ultimately took over a week of work tweaking incorrect metadata, and revealed some songs that aren't on Spotify, but very high success rate over all... Just glad it's done forever. I shudder to think the work that would have been involved in the tool had it not been available - would definitely suggest donations via their Facebook page for anyone it helps, I did and worth every penny as far as I'm concerned for the saved time!

All the best mate, glad you got your music back!

Suggested posts