Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Lost podcast progress

Lost podcast progress

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Devices

iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy S8, MacBook Pro

Operating System

iOS 12.3, Android 9.0, macOS 10.14

My Question or Issue

Pausing a podcast for more than a few minutes before resuming causes the progress to be lost and the podcast to start over. Podcasts tend to be long and episodic in nature and losing progress is an impediment to listening with Spotify. This issue has been in Spotify since podcasts were introduced to the platform. 

30 Replies

I have this same issue on my Galaxy S8. It's been a thing off and on for the past 2 years for me, but happens much more often now. Making me consider switching to Apple, this issue has gone unaddressed forever. I've tried all of the supposed solutions like uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing help . 

I have a Galaxy S8 and an iPhone 8, both have the issue. It does not seem to be different across the platforms in my experience. 

I also have this on my OnePlus 6 (Android 9.0, OxygenOS 9.0.8, Build 6003_22_190801, Spotify 8.5.21.754).

It's extremely annoying as I listen to numerous different podcasts and pause them frequently as I do different things, such as connect to my car's Bluetooth, doing different tasks, etc.

If I switch to another app and come back, more often than not it will forget my progress when I switch back to the app. It's also the same if I force close the appnd reopen. Sometimes it will remember my progress, but that is a rarity now.

It has become much more frequent over the past couple of weeks, compared to say month and longer ago, forgetting the progress would be a michore infrequent occurrence.

I have reset/reinstalled Spotify as per the instructions and it's still the same.

Please solve this. This is very annoying. 

I have identical problem, also with OnePlus 6 (android 9).

I’m having the same issue and have for quite some time on various devices. When will this be fixed?

It's irritating as **bleep** on galaxy s9 plus. When I pause podcast for a few minutes and switch to different apps it loses progress. It happens randomly so propably it's not so easy to reproduce but please work on it. I don't want to install another app for podcasts.

Similar/same issue, but I also notice now that the iOS app (iphone Xs+, iOS13) does not retain position when switching between devices.

AKA I listened to 1.5 hours of a podcast on my Echo, then when getting in my car, it started the podcast from the beginning. Same happens when going from desktop app to phone. 

Premium with all Spotify Connect stuff set up

Same here without switching devices.
iPhone 11 Pro - iOS 13.2

Same issue on last iPhones, I don't think it is platform dependent but just a lack of any tracking capabilities there.

I confirm that this still happens on my Android 10 device. I can't believe such a basic feature is not receiving due attention from the company.

Hello @geonnave

Thank you for reaching out. We're here for you and will help you further.

Could you try to reinstall the app - you can find the steps here.

Could you also let us know what version you have of Spotify after the re installation if the issue still persists.

Hope this helps. We're looking forward to your reply.

Cheers! 

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I think we are all quite certain this does not fix the issue. It happens across all platforms regardless of Spotify version.

+1 to what n0rm said

Hey there @n0rm and @Naam9

Thank you for reaching out to us. We'd be glad to help you further with this.

In this case we would recommend you to perform a clean reinstall (more thorough than a regular one) - you find the steps here.

Would you mind letting us know the devices you experienced this with and their operating system?

Let us know how everything went. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Please see my original post for older platforms and OS versions I was experiencing this on when I first made the post. Currently using the following devices and OS versions with the latest Spotify update applied:

MacBook Pro 15 2018, MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

iPhone XS, iOS 13.7

This issue has been happening for me consistently since Spotify added podcasts to the platform. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on both devices, I'll report back the first time I notice the issue again.

After uninstalling Spotify from my MacBook and reinstalling, a podcast which I listened to last night and showed as such on my phone app is now showing as not having been played in the desktop app. Please advise.

Hello, I think you guys should stop asking people to do the same thing over and over and get to start fixing the issue. It has been reported as a cross platform issue. It has nothing to do with the device on which it is installed. Web, mobile, desktop, it doesn't matter. Podcasts progress are not saved accross the board.
The solution here is to fill and RFE and let engineering implement it.

Thanks,

still happening. very annoying. 

Hey there @bbbbbbbbb3

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you send over your device's make, model, exact OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts