Premium

Country

USA

Devices

iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy S8, MacBook Pro

Operating System

iOS 12.3, Android 9.0, macOS 10.14

My Question or Issue

Pausing a podcast for more than a few minutes before resuming causes the progress to be lost and the podcast to start over. Podcasts tend to be long and episodic in nature and losing progress is an impediment to listening with Spotify. This issue has been in Spotify since podcasts were introduced to the platform. 

30 Replies

Please see my post here from 2020-09-16 where I was asked to do this and received no support or response after doing so. Please fix this issue and please stop asking us to try the same steps over and over.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Lost-podcast-progress/m-p/5036851/highlight/true#M8062

I have not. Do you want me to clean reinstall on all devices?

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting back to us

@n0rm, apologies for the delayed response. Could you let us know the current OS versions running on your devices? Also, could you send over a screenshot where we can take a better look at what's happening?

@bbbbbbbbb3, yes, it would be helpful to know if it makes any difference. Keep in mind that this can clear any cache that could be causing trouble. 

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The issue is that podcast play progress is not kept across devices. If I play the podcast on my desktop, pause it, then come back to that podcast later on another device, the time where i left off is not kept. I cannot show this in a screenshot. Please review this thread as I have posted past OS and device versions also.

MacOS 11.2.3

WIndows 10 Build 19042

iOS 14.4.1

Android 11

Hi @n0rm

Thanks for this info! 

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log into their account using any of your devices to see if they can replicate this issue? 

It would also be helpful to know if you notice anything new when using a different internet connection. 

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator

I'm sure all the other members that have reported the same issue are perfectly subscribing to “family member with different internet connection”. Again, we understand Q.A’s job but now it is time to file a bug. It's have been 2 years since my last message and this thread is older than that. I don't feel like continuing paying  Spotify if users continue being mocked like that.

Thanks.

Hey @Naam9

Thanks for your reply. 

We're sorry to hear that you feel like this. Keep in mind that we haven't been able to replicate this issue from our end and this is the reason why we ask you to try different troubleshooting steps. This helps us get to the root cause. 

We'd also recommend making sure that there are no cache clearing apps on your device, as this could cause issues with Spotify. 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Same issue using Google Pixel with Android 11 with up to date Spotify a/o date of this post. Tried clean reinstall. I seem to only lose progress when attempting to access podcast during ads. Seems as though trying to seek/fast forward though ads causes podcast to restart/lose progress. 

Hey there @muncher1o!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Could you confirm for us if that happens with all podcasts or with a particular one? Also we'd like to know if the podcasts resets only when you try to skip forward on an ad, or if it resets when you pause it and try to play it again later as well?

Have you noticed if this behavior occurs on other devices besides your phone? If it's only on mobile, we'd recommend logging out and it 2 times to force a sync with your account and the device.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

This happened to me 3 times on one 3 hour podcast. Tried to clear cache, then reinstalled. It just happened again. I'm on Spotify version 8.8.4.518 and I'm on a Pixel 6a.

Hi there @comradechrome,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you let us know if the progress gets reset if you close the app or navigate to another playlist for example? It would also be helpful to know on which podcast this is happening and whether it's happening with other shows as well.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts