Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Your Library view (iOS & Android)

Spotify is introducing a new version of the Your Library view to mobile users of the iOS and Android apps. When you open up the Spotify mobile app you will see this new view. 📱

Check out this Spotify news article for more information:

Listeners Can Explore Their Spotify Collections Faster and Easier With a New ‘Your Library’

This thread is your go-to destination for getting an overview of what's new, asking questions, getting help for issues you might have, as well as to share your feedback on this new version of Your Library. Also, do you have any tips for other users on how you are using the new Your Library? We'd love to hear them.

What's new?

• See your entire collection in one simple list
  • Dynamic filters and better sort options for your collection
  • Pinned library items to find your favorites, faster
  • More control at your fingertips with a new grid view
  • Universal search allows you to search through your entire collection and see your recent searches
  • Faster settings navigation allows you to tap on your profile picture to get to settings faster
  • Get to your downloads, faster

Here is a walkthrough of what's new:

One simple list:

Your Library is now one simple list. At the top, tap on the filters to filter the content you want to see and tap on the sort options to change the sort order of the list. To create a new playlist, tap on the + (plus) symbol at the top right corner.

NYL21OneList.PNG

Dynamic filter options:

At the top, tap on the filters to filter the content you want to see. Tap on the X and then chose another filter to see another type of content. Having no filter selected will show all types of content in the list.

• Playlists
  • Artists
  • Albums
  • Podcasts & Shows
  • Downloaded

NYL21Filter2.png

Sort options:

At the top, tap on the sort options to change the sort order of the list.

• Recents
  • Recently added
  • Alphabetical
  • Creator

And in the "Playlists" filter view, you'll have this option to see your playlists in your own order like in the desktop app and web player:

• Custom order

NYL21Sort2.png

📌 Pinned library items:

If you tap and hold on the screen on any item in the Your Library list or swipe right on it, an option will show up allowing you to pin it and it will stay at the top of the Your Library list.

You can pin anything in Your Library such as playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, and podcasts. The limit is 4 pinned items. You can unpin "New Episodes" to free up a pin and still get to that using the "Podcasts & Shows" filter or by searching for it. Same with "Liked Songs", you can unpin it and still get back to it at the top of the "Playlists" filter when it is sorted by "Custom order" or by searching for it. You can also pin the "Your Episodes" list to the main library view in addition to the "New Episodes" list if you also want to be able to access "Your Episodes" from the main library view without having to filter to "Podcasts & Shows" first.

To pin more playlists when you run out of the 4 item pins, you can make a playlist folder in the desktop app or web player and then move multiple playlists inside it and then pin the folder in the mobile app. Then tap on the folder at the top and there you go, easier access to all the playlists in that folder and that can be your 4th pin. However, you can't pin a specific playlist if it is in a folder, so you will need to pin the folder instead. Tip: In the desktop app or web player you can also move playlist folders inside of another playlist folder. That means you can pin a playlist folder that contains a whole bunch of other playlist folders if you want to get super organized.

To easily find the item you want to pin, the best way is to use the universal search. At the top of Your Library, tap on the search icon and search for the item you want to pin. The universal search searches your entire library for playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, podcasts and also shows you your recent searches.

NYL21Pinned2.png

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Grid view:

Are you a visual person? You're in control. With the new grid view you can view Your Library with bigger artwork if that's your jam. This is great for when you're on the go or in the car so you can find what you're looking for faster. To switch to the grid view, tap on the squares icon to the right. Tap on it again to go back to the list view.

NYL21GridView.PNG

Universal search:

The new universal search can be accessed by tapping the search icon at the top right corner. The new search allows you to quickly search through your entire library for playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, and podcasts without having to go to a specific content section.

NYL21UniversalSearch.PNG

Recent searches:

The new universal search also shows you your most recent Your Library searches so you can quickly get back to what you previously searched for.

NYL21RecentSearches.PNG

Faster settings navigation:

Tap on your profile picture in the top left corner to get to settings faster.

NYL21Settings.png

Downloads: (Requires Premium)

When you are in offline mode you'll see your downloaded content faster upon app launch in the home tab.

NYL21DownloadsHome.PNG

In Your Library, tap on the "Downloaded" filter either in the main list view or after tapping on a filter to view your downloaded content.

NYL21Download.PNG

NYL21DownloadedCombined.PNG

How the new version of Your Library (iOS & Android) evolved over time during testing:

When the new version of Your Library on mobile was being tested with users, a few of the main points of feedback were the following:

• Add a custom sort option for the playlists filter like in the old library view
  • Add a way to see a feed of new podcast episodes like in the old library view

These two options were added during the testing phase. Other points of feedback were also made by users during the test, but Spotify is always looking to improve the app so hopefully the new library experience will improve over time.

I personally like being able to see my playlists in the same custom sort order I have them arranged in the desktop app, so I was glad to see that issue was addressed. A bonus feature was also added which is the ability to pin a few of your favorite items to the top of Your Library. I really like being able to have my favorites one tap away at the top of my library. A few other new features that I like are being able to quickly search through my entire library, being able to see my library in a new grid view, and being able to get to settings right from the library view.

Now that the new version of Your Library on mobile is rolling out to all users, what do you think? You can leave your feedback as a reply in this thread. If your feedback is suggesting certain changes, it is best to also post each individual idea in the Community Idea Exchange where users can vote and comment on your ideas and it'll be easier to track each idea. You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
426 Replies

More than 300 - mostly angry - replys. And no answer, no change announced by Spotify.

I already had a bad feeling last year as they cancelled a podcast with a message (critically challenging these gender things) that was obviously not in favour of certain Spotfiy employees who have lost contact to the basic people.

This here is the same pattern. The big companies have young people (Generation Y / Z) who do their own thing. "What do we care about customers ... we are on our own mission" might be their mindset. 

I just turned auto update back on and what a mistake. I have lots of playlists. Probably over a hundred. I had them all organised in a heirarchial structure. I could find what I wanted and the top level was concise.

Spotify staff, do you have a flat filesystem on your machines? Why on earth do you think we want one?

Ok, it turns out I get the view I'm used to back by pressing the 'playlists' filter but it was still a huge wth when I first saw everything in the top level!

I don't like this. It looks so messy!

I have a bug with the new Playlist functionality.
If i donwload a PlayList that is inside a Folder, the playlist dissapear from the view.
I can see on the PC app and in the Web, but no on the Andoid app.
If I search the playlist on the search, and I uncheck the download check, the playlist come back appear again on the folder.

After many years of use I have now cancelled my Spotify premium account after lots issues culminating in it not working at all with playlists missing etc etc. I cannot waste any more time trying to work out how to find and play songs and no action to fix them. I did not sign up for beta testing. Spotify is hopeless. The app was great in 2019 but has deteriorated with every update.

Same! I have my Discover Weekly and Release Radar in a folder called 'Weekly'. It says I have two playlists in the folder but when I click on it, it is empty. Really annoying.

Love the changes though, except for this small bug.

You say:

When the new version of Your Library on mobile was being tested with users, a few of the main points of feedback were the following:

• Add a custom sort option for the playlists filter like in the old library view
  • Add a way to see a feed of new podcast episodes like in the old library view

These two options were added during the testing phase. Other points of feedback were also made by users during the test, but Spotify is always looking to improve the app so hopefully the new library experience will improve over time.

So where is the custom view you say you added back? As you can see, people want it!

You new interface waqs so bad, I actually spent time going through the hassle of register, just post against it. 

Not only does your "new look" eliminate the song lists for artists, it also removes the ranking bar which showed how many other Spotify listening liked the song!  All for the flashy "tile" interface.  What are you doing?  The old interface worked perfectly and allowed much easier viewing, reviewing, and ordering.  THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!  Whatever you paid to get the new interface made, demand you money back.

Oh, and bring back the old interface.

Stop changing things! I want to see MY playlists in MY custom order every time I open the app. I do not need useless filters at the top taking up more screen space. If I wanted to "filter" for an artist, album, playlist, podcast- I could easily hope over to the search tab and search for it from there like everyone has been doing for years. It's so simple.

The latest updates have been lousy and far from the goal of making things simplified or convenient for us customers. 

You know I don't need anything here dynamic, I need my playlists my way on all devices, not YOUR way. That's a pathetic update, please revert custom order. Thank you, bye. 

Please just bring the old library back.

I don't know who on earth thougt of this, the library was so good before!

Please bring it back.

I DO NOT want to have my playlists ordered in recently played or added or alphabetically. I had a very specific system where I knew where everything is (I have a lot of playlists) and now Spotify **bleep** it up and now it is all a mess. And I am very displeased about it 

I honestly don't know what is going on at Spotify, but someone is clearly trying to make the app as inconvenient and useless as possible.

It is called 'Your Library'. That means I want MY playlists, in MY order. Not some completely redundant 'recently played' order that constantly changes. Not some pointless alphabetical order that I wasn't using. 

This update is abysmal. It's left the app looking like a total mess, and the complete amateur approach to user functionality is just pitiful. The Android app has only recently allowed you to modify the order of tracks within a playlist. No sooner do you introduce this overdue basic functionality, do you mess up twice as hard by making it so that playlists can't be ordered instead. 

I've had this for nearly a week and it's nothing but pointless inconvenience. And you insult us further by removing functionality whilst pushing all your prices up. Restore the function of actually being able to order my playlists as I've always done, or I will be taking my money and leaving your service - encouraging other angry people to do the same. Very unimpressed.

Honestly, I've made use of this service for years, I have many years worth of playlists now all organised in accordance with my use for different purposes - personal and professional. Now it's all some jumbled mix that makes precisely nothing better or more efficient.

I've had plenty of issues with Spotify's UI choices over the years, but this is the first to warrant vocal criticism. I don't want to stop using the service, but I will - this is not the standard I'm paying for, especially now that there are some credible alternatives that I could switch to. At the very least, the 'Creator' filter should be applicable to sub-folders as well, but ideally this whole update needs revoking. It's turned what is meant to be a premium service app, into an amateur mess that isn't fit for purpose. Not at those prices.

S ucks

P oor

O bnoxious

T errible

I ssues

F reezes

Y ucky

10,000 times this!  I reverted back to a version from March to fund Custom instead of Creator.

Is the new Only You thing only available in the mobile app? Or can it be viewed on the Desktop?

I ask because I've avoided updating to the current version on my phone (you know, for the 315 reasons listed above) and as cool as this "experience" sounds, it probably isn't worth giving up a functional "your library." But the desktop app I have should be current, so maybe I can see it there?

I was pretty upset about getting this update for testing (without being told that's what was happening), but it did scare me into turning off automatic updates, which has turned out to be a plus.

They need to  fix the library instead of giving us a feature that I will never look at again as it seemed pretty useless. If you have not updated to avoid the new library then don't. 

Same issue with your library since the update on desktop too.

Nothing shows up except the 3 or 4 items that they want you to see, nothing will show up from your library.

Spotify is now the only media player on the planet that doesn't allow you to play anything from your library.

Suggested posts