Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcasts playing randomly

Podcasts playing randomly

My podcasts are playing in what seems to be "shuffle" mode and I can't change it! It also keeps playing ones I've already listened to. How can I change this back so that they play in the order they are downloaded?

I have a premium account and using an Oppo on an android system.

Thanks in advance!

21 Replies

Same for me. When I play an episode on my downloaded list the following playlist is completely random and not following how they are listed on that list. 

Hey @teamrachel and @ahlbeck1,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Would you mind double-checking if there are any updates available both for your device's operating system and the Spotify app? Seems like this could do the trick 🙂 

Let us know how you get on. We'll be here if there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your reply. My system is up to date and I have just updated the Spotify app, but am still having the same problem 

I have deleted and redownloaded the app and they appear to be playing in order now 🙂

Hey @teamrachel,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Glad to hear that re-installing the app did the trick in this case 🙂 

Don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Mario,

Sorry I spoke way too soon. Now that I have redownloaded more podcasts they are again playing in a random order 😞

Have you had any success with permanently fixing this problem? My spotify has been randomly shuffling my downloaded podcasts recently too.

same issue here! app is up to date and using android on an oppo phone and the downloaded podcasts are playing in a completely random order.

I've also got a problem where when playing podcasts from the show's page itself the episodes will only play in order of oldest to newest, no matter how i have the display sorted, but I've had that issue since like.. last year. originally started on my old samsung phone and still happening now with a new phone, but when looking for help the only advice i could find is to just sort by date so that theyre in the order you want...not helpful when the problem is that that doesnt work 🙃😂

Hey there @familynotblood

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Can you try these steps and run a clean reinstall? That way you can make sure that the cache is not leading to issues.

Can you also check, if this happens when a friend of yours try to play the episodes?

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

PetyaModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I’m not at all about to believe this is “random” I have turned off the only setting Spotify gives to stop autoplay. This does nothing for podcasts. When an episode ends, Spotify chooses to Autoplay an older episode I have likely already heard instead of moving on to the next available episode as common sense would say to do.  It should be very easy to have the only “auto play off” option offered to actually not automatically play anything. Or copy and edit the code and create a second autoplay off for podcasts. As for what older podcasts are chosen to be autoplayed for me,   The idea this is random is very unlikely when it could be a marketed and profitable way to shove unwanted content at people against their will.  I choose to believe we are capitalists and this company is obligated to shareholders do what they believe is most profitable

Hi there @Awalker075

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Currently, there isn't any option to turn the Autoplay off for podcasts. 

In this case, we recommend adding your +VOTE to this idea, if this is something you'd like to see implemented in the future. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

Or if you prefer, you can give these steps a go and submit your own idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

Check out this Spotify Answer to learn more about this. 

Lastly, keep in mind that you can always add the episodes you want to listen to next to the Play Queue, so they will play once the current episode ends. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Same problem.  I did go and vote for that new idea...but as it's from 2018, I'm not optimistic it will be fixed soon.  On the platform.  That I pay for.

I've found a workaround:

As there's no "shuffle" button in podcasts, I've played some music and disabled the shuffle mode there.

When changing to my podcast playlist, this was played in the correct order.

Hope this is useful for you...

Regards!

Thank you so much! Spotify should fix this. This is a bug!

Same thing happening to me

Same here. Clearly a bug. Should play things in order

I had this issue also. I know the reason why and how to avoid it, though it is still something Spotify needs to address and fix. If you last played any music on shuffle, your podcasts will also play on shuffle. To keep your podcasts from playing in random order, go to one of your music playlists and play a song, then turn off shuffle. Now go back and listen to your podcast, and it will progress in chronological order.

Spotify, please correct this.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

In the meantime we suggest that you head over to the idea that's been provided in the thread and leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates about this.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I finally got fed up with my Podcasts jumping around the playlist at random and decided to google a fix for this today, and lo and behold found this thread from Two Years Ago. Its now March of 2022 and my podcasts are still having the same issue as the original poster of this thread. When is Spotify going to fix this issue??? Why is it that when I play a song it plays the next song down in the playlist in order, but when I play podcasts it just picks another podcast from the playlist at complete random? (Half the time it's even one i've already listened to!) That makes no sense Spotify! It is EXTREMELY annoying. I don't want my Podcasts to stop after each podcast. I just want them to play in the correct order, just like the songs in a playlist already do. How can this be a difficult task to accomplish?? PLEASE FIX

Suggested posts