Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

I constantly find my Release Radar recommending songs by an artist (say A) with the same name as an artist (say A') that I might actually wanna listen to. This is extremely dumb as an issue because these two artists are listed as genuinely different artists in Spotify and the newly recommended song by a wrong artist is listed as a song of A' in the system. A reasonable conclusion is that at least Release Radar does not look into the artist IDs but just merely refers to their names. This happens to like 5 different artists to me and my Release Radar is contaminated by songs which I have absolutely no interest in. I believe this is a very basic bug that can be fixed in like 5 minutes.

319 Replies

This happens for me as well. It seems like the logic only uses string matches which means if some random artist creates a profile under the name "Beyoncé", they will appear in the release radar for the millions of people following the real "Beyoncé" artist. Here's an actual example with pictures:

The song that appeared in Release RadarThe song that appeared in Release RadarSkjermbilde 2020-03-30 kl. 16.16.46.png

The artist I'm actually followingThe artist I'm actually following

spotify:album:464nYtvZPAvwcmcifa7HoK

decuman_0-1586476910868.png

Hey there everyone, 

Thanks again for all your reports about this!

We've passed them along to our tech teams who will be looking into this.

If you come across this issue in the future, the best way to report this is by reaching out to us here. This way, our support team can investigate further behind the scenes for you.

On another note, we hope you won't mind us marking this post as a solution so it's more visible for other users with a similar question.

Hope this info is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I have had the same for a while now with quite a few different artists. Often not the same nationality or genre.

I got the wrong Pendulum artist, wrong Polaris, wrong Slayer (this one was a featured artist where once I checked "view artists, it took me to the correct Slayer page. It was a hip-hop song and the Slayer I listen to is a heavy metal band), wrong Architects. I have screenshots for all of this but it'd be over the maximum screenshot limit and size limit

Same issue! I came here looking to complain after being mislead by a track by a different Pendulum last week, and now Architects this week. Getting quite annoying.

"If you come across this issue in the future, the best way to report this is by reaching out to us here." Where do you want me to report it?  The "here" link takes me to the generic support page, which suggests I report it to the community.  If I select "contact us" instead, it gives me a list of possible subjects.  If I pick "feedback," which seems most appropriate, it again sends me to the community.

I've already reported the problem to the community.

I've also had this issue for a while, like my current release radar; four songs unavailable, and songs by unrelated doppelgangers of Low, Sparks, Santana and ELO in just one playlist.

Hi Katerina,

Replying to you since I can't seem to post a comment directly to this thread.
I got in contact with support like you suggested and they recommended I uninstall, clear the cache, and reinstall Spotify across all my devices (Two Windows 10 Desktops, an Ubuntu Linux Laptop, and an Android Phone). 

I reached out to them with an additional question but they have yet to respond, so I'm seeking some help or clarity in this thread. Do I have to do a reinstall on every device at once to attempt to resolve this issue?

Or can I, for example, just do a reinstall on my Android phone and see if the Release Radar stops showing wrong artists with similar names but wrong Spotify Artist IDs?

Thanks!

I'm sorry but that resolution doesn't make any sense. Release Radar is based on the artists you follow with your Spotify profile and does not have anything to do with local storage/caching. It will update every week regardless if you have the app installed on your desktop, phone or don't even have it installed. They really should be looking further into this issue

It doesn't seem this issue is on a top priority list for spotify team hence I guess we need to live with it somehow. Unfortunately I had to unfollow a whole bunch of artists like North as it is never been looked into or improved even after reporting the issue. Reportin by itself is a convoluted buerocracy with no feedback - feels like shouting into an empty well.

My Release Radar is now contaminated even more than it was half a year ago!

One of the top reccomendations was spotify:track:76WDFaMU5rnbgd74mcEIYH

(unrelated Halo + other-North hijacking my favorites )

Check the mess on North's popular list (as I said been reported a while ago):

spotify:artist:0xHToWK9FBQ9Tm16281vQ9

Annotation 2020-07-01 104356.png

Another case of the Release Radar weird behaviour.
I've got "RoSETTA" artist on the recommended list which I never liked or added it to my favorites:
spotify:track:5V2qMcewySybsMecXsbJZ8
But I defintely have another "Rosetta" in my favorites - which is a totally different artist with its own separate artist page
spotify:artist:0HJQZHbKgYyWCDc8uVko6S
Wondering whether Release Radar playlist compliation logic is so rudimetrary simple that it allows such dumb non-case-sensitive matches?

Though this is marked as solved I am still having this issue! Can’t believe Spotify doesn’t use artist unique ids instead of names. Last week a song in my release radar was even credited to the wrong artist with the same name (one is an alternative band with a female singer and the other is a rapper so it’s pretty easy to tell when their mixed up). Can’t find any way to report the issue without having to go through twenty help articles and chat bots first. 

Another **bleep** artist:

spotify:artist:3HFJpoKcCFUZYsGAYSmtKJ

can't even tell how many artists live under this area... what a mess! : (

Today all Clutch ( spotify:artist:161AC1AVRkIGIMxyj5djFQ ) fans are getting smacked with this:

decuman_0-1595551714545.png

spotify:album:6HKx4KTfGoQbI9bL2LHpkN

Thanks, Spotify

And another **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** artist is hijacking my following list
spotify:artist:5holNSrfeIekELVcG1hmYq

decuman_0-1595811866975.png

That's not the right MONOLOG artist.
all the good tracks are >10K and a **bleep** <1K one from a **bleep** hijacker is number TWO ?!?!?! IS THIS A JOKE?
It was absolutellly different artist when I started following it and now I'm forced to sumble and listen to smth. I would have never ever willingly listen to even in my nighmares. I've already unfollowed a good dozen of artist because of this issue! SPOTIFY - do something, please!!!

Currently dealing with release a song through UnitedMasters but my song is under another artist as the same name as me. Please help

another unwanted present and hi-jacked artists from the Release Radar.

Fans of Stars Of The Lid, Discovery, Bryan John Appleby etc. artists are so pleased with this new Compilation by Moveek  appearing in their weekly release radar playlists...

spotify:album:5buhupcP2TwGByMRLzuKcA

decuman_1-1597883233350.png

Spotify - please stop this mess.

Hey @Katerina,

Marking this post as a solution wasn't probably the appropriate action: 4 months after your reply, this unique id issue is still not fixed.

I'm new on the community platform however I don't see how it made the post more visible for other users since they would look into "Ongoing issues"... To have a better idea of how much the solution is asked by users, if I search for "Release Radar" topics with "Ongoing issue" tag, as of today this post would rank 22 on 95 based on the number of likes (not even sure results are all related to Release Radar but it's an other subject...)

So I understand Release Radar might not be high priority at Spotify, this issue even less, but please: it's harfmul for artists to no reach their audience and it messes up with our user experience for us who are eager to listen to our favourite artists new releases, don't add more complication by misleading us in our search for a solution.

Have a great day!

Suggested posts