Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

filter local files

filter local files

I dont want that every mp3 in my computer play on my local files, theres a way to filter only a folder?

5 Replies

Hey there @UCoala

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help!

In order to filter a single folder with preferred local files simply follow the steps below:

1. Open the Spotify desktop app and go to Settings in the top right menu.
  2. Scroll down to locate the section Local Files
  3. Make sure Show Local Files is enabled. 
  4. Under Show songs from you can see a button ADD A SOURCE - click on this button to select a specific folder on your PC.    

This option allows you to specify a single folder as a source of the local files that the Spotify app will recognize. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this. 

How to do the same for android mobile app? 

Hi @smathur1291!

Unlike the desktop app, the mobile app does not currently support individual source folders for local files and instead groups all tracks together into one single folder. There's an idea about changing this behavior here, so feel free to check it out and add your +VOTE to show your support.

In the meantime, a workaround for this is to add your local files into separate playlists.

Hope this clears things up. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Ivan,

Is this still working in Spotify version for Windows 1.2.9.743.g85d9593d ? I followed your instruction and when done restarted the app, even restarted the machine but still couldn't get it shown in one single existing folder, which I added and selected.

Regards,

Hey @FaiFo,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

To answer your question, yes, currently it's working as mentioned by @Ivan above. You can see it also in this article.

So, since you mentioned you can't see the local files on the folders you set, would you mind sending us the make/model and OS of the affected device?

On another note, we'd suggest trying to create a new folder with a different name and putting some local files in it (not all of them). Then, add it as a source and check if the few songs in this folder show up as local files in the desktop app. Remember, you should look for them in Your Library> Local Files folder.

Lastly, if the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind reinstalling the app on the affected device? You can do it by following these steps. Remember, Spotify supports .mp3, .mp4, and .m4p files. It doesn’t support .mp4 files that contain video or the iTunes lossless format (M4A). It might be worth checking if the files meet those requirements.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts